By Maya Frankel

This is the tale of a pair of shoes, a pair of Converse to be specific. This is the tale of me and my red Converse.

This story begins in high school, my sophomore year to be exact, when I was gifted red high-top Converse for my birthday. I had always been a high-top Converse girl, wearing navy blue and black clothes throughout middle school because my school had a strict dress code. The red Converse were initially a symbol of my growth and ability to finally express myself when my public high school had no dress code.

I opened the box and looked at the pair of high-tops, red as the apple in “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” and felt a sense of confidence. The red Converse carried me through high school and became my signature clothing piece I wore almost every day to school and on the weekends.

I don’t know what it is about the color red, but it always calls out to me. I mean, Boston University has mainly red apparel, and you better believe I own plenty of it. I may or may not bring my red BU water bottle everywhere with me. It helps me hydrate and adds a splash of red to my life.

In my mind, red screams boldness and confidence, two things I am constantly working to achieve. So, after I graduated from high school, I decided it was time for the beaten-up red Converse to go and to get a new pair of red Converse for the journey I was about to embark on.

Moving on to a new pair meant moving on to a new part of my life and accepting that change is a part of life. And that change can be magical. Moving on meant that the shy girl who would always forget her worth was gone, and a new one who was sure of herself was slowly taking her place.

Change is the only way we grow as we learn to navigate new obstacles and opportunities. It may seem small to everyone, but finally moving on from my old pair of Converse meant allowing myself to move on from the person I was in high school and to transform into the person I am today.

Now, I am at BU with my new Converse. I am wearing them as we speak, drinking from my red BU water bottle, smiling because my pair of red Converse is taking me all over Boston. So, if you see someone in a pair of red high-top Converse walking around Brookline, there is a good chance that person is me.