By Katrina Liu

What makes a song a classic? What makes a band a classic? Why does it seem like we come out of the womb knowing all the words to some songs?

I’m not sure of any of the answers to the above questions, but I do know Oasis is considered one of the most acclaimed British rock bands in the last couple of decades. Based out of Manchester, England, they were a musical force in the 1990s before officially splitting in 2009.

Everyone knows the words to “Wonderwall.” I know I do, and I have no idea when or where I learned them. “Don’t Look Back In Anger” is their second most-streamed song on Spotify with more than 420 million streams. That song is another one that subconsciously seeped into my mind during my 19 years of life.

But the best feeling is rediscovering a song after years of it being lost in the mix of life. “Champagne Supernova” came on a random playlist I was listening to last week, and it tickled some part of my brain because I somehow recognized it. Past me clearly didn’t appreciate the song enough because as it played, I paused whatever I was doing and sat in my emotions for seven and a half minutes.

There were a lot of emotions happening.

Usually, if I get emotional when listening to the song, I point to the lyrics. But if you look up the lyrics to this song, they don’t make any sense. For example, “Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball,” literally contradicts the other within the same breath.

So if it’s not the lyrics, it’s the melody. It’s the fact that I envy anybody who has heard this song live, whether it be a festival or a 200-person venue. It’s one of those stadium screamer songs. If I felt like I was ascending to another dimension while listening to it through my AirPods in my dorm room, I can’t imagine what it would be like to hear it played live.

“Champagne Supernova” is seven and a half minutes of the feeling of being alive. It’s an overwhelming feeling but in the best way possible. Admittedly, I know very little about pre-2000s music, but this song is timeless. It just has that x-factor, that edge to it. It does what music should do: bring people together.

So if you ever see me laying in bed staring at the ceiling listening to music on full blast, it’s probably this song.