By Thalia Lauzon

I never thought I was old. I just turned 19, so I didn’t think I’d get to that mindset so early in life –– but here I am.

Two weeks ago, my friend and I were having a conversation that somehow became about our hometown of Chicago. We found out together that the Sears Tower, a staple of the Chicago skyline, was renamed the Willis Tower in 2009.

Seriously, 2009.

Now, this doesn’t matter to most people who aren’t from the Windy City –– and it barely matters to Chicagoans who were there, pre-renaming, because we still definitely call it the Sears Tower –– but 2009 was 12 years ago. I was seven. I remember the renaming and everyone getting mad about it.

My friend and I sat silently for a while. 2009 seems like forever ago, but this event feels as if it happened yesterday because I remember it so vividly. It was before any of my cousins were married or had children. It was before I even finished elementary school. It was only one year into former President Barack Obama’s first term.

Why can I remember the details of an obscure, meaningless, irrelevant event but not remember anything from my lecture that ended five minutes ago?

I feel like I’ve barely lived or done anything, but I somehow remember something that happened 12 years ago.

My friend and I continued searching for the dates of when other notable things happened and realized we’re a lot older than we thought.

“Mulan 2,” the first DVD I saw, came out in 2004. I specifically remember my parents buying me that DVD for my birthday.

The first Apple iPhone came out in 2007. And my first phone, the iPhone 4, was released in 2010. It just sunk in that I was nine years old when I got my first phone, which I still own because it still works. Before that, I was astounded by my sibling’s red flip phone.

I even remember having to plug in my dad’s computer to access the internet.

The first “Iron Man” movie came out in 2008. I saw it in theaters when it was released. I was six and completely terrified. Though in my defense, that was my first movie theater experience, and it was way too real in my little brain.

It was the first of the long list of Marvel Cinematic Universe movies I saw. And now they’ve made like 100 of them (not actually but it feels like it).

I don’t know whether to be concerned about my concept of time — some moments and events seem as if they happened yesterday when they actually occurred over a decade ago. If you told me all the things mentioned above happened in 2016, I’d probably believe you. That’s my perception of time at this point.

Time is messed up in my head. I know four years is a long time — that’s how long high school took, that’s how long college will take and that’s just a year more than middle school. However, looking back, I don’t know. Was it really that long?

I remember most days moving quickly with only a few weeks dragging on forever, which is similar to now. My mindset is: Monday is next to Tuesday, which is right before Wednesday –– and that’s already the middle of the week. And Wednesday is only a day before Thursday, which is only a day before Friday. Then, boom, it’s the weekend.

I don’t know if this mindset is normal. It makes everything move quicker, but I’m wondering how much my perception of time is messed up.