By Katrina Liu

For my fellow Spotify users out there, Discover Weekly can be a hit or miss. Sometimes I vibe with more than half the songs. Sometimes I vibe with literally none of them. Not to mention that one week when Discover Weekly got super confused after I exclusively listened to Broadway show tunes and One Direction.

But, Discover Weekly has exposed me to a lot of great music — it’s where I first heard “Coffee Breath” by Sofia Mills. I remember making a cup of tea in my dorm last September and being drawn into the song’s vibe within the first 10 seconds. It was perfect for the backdrop of that rainy day, as every action, from getting out of bed to taking notes, felt a little slower and more languid than usual.

Unlike other artists I’ve covered so far, Mills is relatively unknown. Her style is a mix between alternative and indie. She’s a 17-year-old from Boston who released her first EP, “All My Pals,” last year. “Coffee Breath” was her debut single and remains her most popular song to date, with more than 53 million streams on Spotify. 

Mills said she was “inspired by a certain feeling” when she wrote the song, and it shows. Every lyric is open to interpretation, and it’s not an entirely happy or sad song. It sits somewhere in between, almost like a sense of confusion. Mills’ echoing voice paired with her ukelele make me feel like I’m waking up disoriented in an unknown city — or I’m lying in bed, when it’s not quite hot or cold, with one of my legs sticking out of the blanket. In short, this song makes me feel like I’m in a state of in-between, but in the most comfortable way possible.

This song is also a great tune to play as you walk down Commonwealth Avenue, especially if you have an 8 a.m. and you’re shoving your hands in your coat pockets because it’s snowing again. It’s a perfect song to accompany you as you ease into your day, especially if you’re not quite sure if it’s going to be a good or a bad one just yet. That’s the beautiful thing about this song — it’s not fixated on one feeling or mood.

Also, knowing that Mills is younger than me and from this very city makes me sorta feel like a proud mom. What a song. If you choose to listen to it, I hope you enjoy it.