By Maya Frankel

It’s those random bursts of energy at midnight that mess up the sleep schedule I am trying to achieve. My current sleep schedule is nonexistent. I feel tired almost every afternoon — Zoom fatigue, you get it — but I power through. I am not sure if I should be taking a power nap when I feel tired or toughen up and finish out the day.

By the time I should be sleeping, I want to get ready and go out. “Go where?” you might ask. My answer would be: anywhere and everywhere. I let the feeling pass and eventually fall into a deep sleep, but those thoughts delay the actual sleeping part.

I know the first question many of you will ask is whether or not I check my phone before bed. The answer would be … yes. I know that’s probably the main reason for my burst of energy at night, but my phone is seriously addicting. And now, because most classes are over Zoom, we are always working online. Our phones are how we decompress. It is a hard-to-break cycle of constantly being on electronics. It’s crazy if you think about it — our entire lives are on our phones.

Here are some tips on how to break the electronics cycle:

• Meditate, even if it’s just for five minutes.
  • Read a book.
  • Write in a journal or draw.
  • Do the tasks that are easy to put off — we all have those.

Those are just a couple of ideas on how to reduce your screen time. I am going to take my advice and meditate or read before going to sleep instead of staring at my phone for an hour. We can so easily put off what is good for us, excusing the behavior because we feel tired or lazy, but can scroll through social media for hours every day.

The other day, I was talking to my mom, and she told me about a book she read when I was a baby about looking for signs of tiredness in others. It taught her to identify when I was tired and put me to sleep as a child. As we get older, though, it becomes easier to ignore these cues and continue to do what we are doing.

It’s so important — especially with classes being online — we rest our eyes. I have never been a big napper, but maybe napping is the solution I have been looking for. Make sure to prioritize sleep and listen to your body. After all, you know what’s best for you.