By Thalia Lauzon

Imagine this: You get an assignment from one of your classes and need to write it down for later. You probably would type it in your notes or on some homework app, or simply write it down in your notebook.

Instead of that simplicity, head on over to my brain: She not only keeps all of her class syllabuses open every day on multiple desktops, but she also writes down her homework on a homework app, then on her digital daily to-do list and, finally, on her personalized planner and daily info PDF on her iPad.

Next, imagine this: You need to schedule a COVID-19 testing appointment. You check your calendar or reminders app to make sure you don’t have a club meeting or class at that time and then book it. Next, you probably write down that appointment or mentally note it so you won’t miss it.

Or, you could do what I do. I look at my iPhone calendar, my homework app calendar, my reminders app, my weekly excel schedule –– that shows each day of the week from waking up to going to sleep –– and then my weekly checklist –– which displays tasks in a bulleted list for Sunday through Saturday.

And no, none of these programs or documents are linked to where I only have to input information once. I add each event, appointment and assignment separately to every application.

Despite the long-winded sentences and heavy listing, most people actually consider me organized –– in almost an obsessive, crazy way, but organized nonetheless.

I live in a world of organized chaos. Everything has its place and purpose, but it’s a lot. I have a lot of tabs open all the time.

It makes sense in my brain, but no one understands my thought process. They get stressed just by looking at my hour-by-hour schedule.

During times like these, I cling onto my semblance of control even tighter. But, coming into the Spring semester, I was strangling it. I needed control and was so frustrated with everything that I was a mess.

I felt completely lost during the first week of classes. Nothing was particularly complicated or hard, but there was something that didn’t click. I was more confused than I ever was last semester, which was my first semester in college.

I worried I couldn’t get back into the school routine after winter break. My need for control was making me insane. I was in complete disorder.

So, as crazy as it might sound, I loosened my strangling hold over my control-freak issues by making my days more ordered. I wrote down everything I needed to do that day, all the homework I needed to do that week and a visual schedule of each day.

My desktop is still packed with documents, but they’ve helped even out my academic and personal lives. I’ve got a daily list of what I need to do first and last.

Apparently, I’m the only person this makes sense to.