By Maya Frankel

I assume at this point everyone has, at the very least, heard of the show taking over every social media platform: “Bridgerton.” For anyone with a fantasy of running through gardens in a beautiful, regal dress and attending balls on the weekend to meet the potential love of your life, this is the show for you.

I came across a quote that fully captures my thought process. It was something along the lines of, “I do cardio, not to get fit, but to have enough endurance for when I run through gardens in a ball gown.” I resonate with that statement on a spiritual level, as I’m sure many of you do as well.

This show is a must-watch for many reasons. The first being the setting. It takes place in England during the Regency era. You know what that means: the sound of English accents coming in and out of your ears as you watch the plot unravel. And if that isn’t enough of a reason to watch, the cast, especially Simon, (as you’ll get to know once you start the show tonight) reel you in with their good looks and mysterious presences.

The world of “Bridgerton” would be the place for me — with the addition of women’s rights, of course.

I long for the occasion to wear a ball gown and dance for hours until I leave a shoe behind when the clock strikes midnight. Okay, so maybe I want fantasy, or maybe I have just watched too many romantic comedies, but regardless, someone needs to throw a masquerade ball once COVID-19 subsides.

Now, back to convincing you to watch the show. 

“Bridgerton” is a period drama series, as Netflix calls it, based on Julia Quinn’s books. It acts as the time machine so many of us wish was real, taking us back in time to feel as if we too are dressed in gowns and going to balls in search of a partner. 

“Bridgerton” showcases a couple of families as their daughters embark on the season of marriage, which involves impressing the queen, attending balls, dancing, meeting many suitors and causing lots of drama. The girls must continue season after season until they find a marriage partner.

Yes, it is crazy to imagine life so many years before us and what women went through to achieve the number of rights and power that we have today. It makes you realize how lucky we are nowadays with the progression of women’s rights.

The “Bridgerton” soundtrack, which I play anytime I want to relax and clear my mind, puts an unexpected spin on well-known modern pop songs, adapting them as classical songs with a variety of instruments. It is a refreshing twist that catches you off guard as familiar songs appear throughout the show.

I don’t want to give too much away, so I am going to stop here. The last thing I am going to say is that this show is less than 10 episodes long, each one hour long, so it is not a time commitment. Give it a watch — I promise you won’t regret it. Be prepared for the longing feeling of ball gowns and balls. If you start speaking with an accent, do not be alarmed. I did too.