By Maya Frankel

I am on a plane heading back to Boston University, watching the buildings and cars in Florida turn into specs on the earth. The plane continues to fly up, as does my excitement.

This is the start of a new year and a new semester filled with opportunities and possibilities. This Spring is going to be my time to continue growing into the best possible version of myself — accepting opportunities and overcoming any challenges that come my way. 

I guess no one really knows what the future holds, but I know it’ll be good. There’s no way it can’t be.

I’m sure I’m not the only student a little nervous about returning to campus and a little sad about leaving home. We are living in a strange world, where staying home for two months between the Fall and Spring semester is the norm.

It’s difficult to leave a place you feel comfortable in, especially when you’re there for so long, but at some point you need to leave to enter the world again.

Readjusting is always a bit of a bumpy ride, but I promise, all the pieces will fall into place. Yes, I am sad to leave, but I am excited to see my friends again, to reunite in a city that is familiar and a home away from home.

I didn’t cry when I said bye to my family. I almost did — I felt the tears coming, my vision went blurry, but I didn’t cry. I put on mascara for the sole purpose of controlling my tears because once they start, it’s a waterfall. (That’s called thinking ahead.)

I hugged my parents at security and headed through to meet my best friend at our gate as we boarded the plane together and prepared for this next chapter in our lives. It’s easy to feel nervous, but you are never really alone. Remember that.

I have been listening to my “feels playlist” the entire plane ride, fading in and out of sleep as I begin to overthink everything, as usual. As I reminisce about my time at home, I feel happy and at ease. It’s crazy how comforting music can be and how easily it can remind us of our loved ones.

My flight has an hour left and then I am back in the beautiful city of Boston, filled with matcha lattes and endless Italian restaurants. I got a little carried away last semester with the cute coffee shops, so this time I’ll try to steer clear of everyday Tatte visits because that’s an easy way to break your bank account.

The more I talk about Boston, the more excited I become. This is going to be a great semester. I can feel it.