By Thalia Lauzon

My friends like to call me 82 years old because of my atrocious lack of knowledge about pop culture, technology and social media. However, I was welcomed into the 2010s after finally getting Netflix and Hulu over the break.

And it’s a complete game changer.

I’m now able to follow my family’s conversations about new shows such as “The Queen’s Gambit” and “The Crown.” I feel much more informed about life. Not to mention, my friends are extremely pleased they don’t need to wait a few minutes during conversations for me to read Wikipedia pages to understand plots and characters.

Winter break was the first time I had absolutely nothing to do with my time, so I’ve fallen deep down the binging rabbit-hole. I went from watching all of the comedy specials of great comedians –– John Mulaney, Jo Koy, Daniel Sloss, etc. –– to “6 Underground”  and “The Haunting of Hill House” on Netflix, with so many other TV shows and movies in between. On Hulu, I watched “Veronica Mars,” “White Collar” and the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

I honestly would have gotten Netflix solely to watch all the comedy specials. They are all hilarious. I was laughing hysterically in my kitchen so much so I think my parents thought there was something wrong with me.

It didn’t help when I started watching “Veronica Mars.” An early 2000s show, “Veronica Mars” follows a high school teenager who works as an unofficial private investigator with her father, the ex-sheriff, after her best friend is murdered. It’s full of snark, funny one-liners and drama to fill four seasons and a movie.

Also, now that I’ve gotten Netflix, everyone I know is giving me  recommendations. I’m getting hounded to watch “The Vampire Diaries” and its spinoff “The Originals” and then its spinoff, “Legacies.” Add in “The Witcher,” “Lucifer,” “Criminal Minds,” “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” “Fate: The Winx Saga” and “The Magicians,” and I’ve pretty much gotten my next few months booked. That’s not even including all the movie and anime recommendations.

It’s been overwhelming, but fascinating. Both platforms have so much content. I feel the need to trap myself underground for a year to watch every show, like Andy Samberg in the 2015 Emmys opening. But school is calling, and becoming a complete hermit just to finally catch up on years of missed content is not really socially acceptable.

I will catch up eventually. At least I’m no longer an “uninformed heathen,” as my friends would call me. Though I’m apparently still a decade behind, because I’m not on TikTok –– and I’m never going to be, by the way.