By Katrina Liu

How do you move on?

It’s a question that means a multitude of things and has a different meaning to each person. For my last blog post of this year, I want to try to answer some of these. To reiterate, I don’t know anything at all. I just hope my words might possibly offer someone a new perspective.

So, how do you move on? 

You let yourself feel every emotion along the way and try to limit the instinct to justify your feelings. It’s OK to feel things that aren’t necessarily justified, you just have to be able to bring yourself back and ground yourself. 

How do you move on? 

Some nights, you cry yourself to sleep. Some days in the shower, you feel like you’re falling apart. A song comes on shuffle and you’ll halt in the grocery store with a bag of chips in your hand and have to take a deep breath. But those moments of sadness, pain and anger will lessen over time. You’ll go weeks being OK, and then it’ll hit you suddenly and you’ll feel like you’re back at the beginning. But I promise you, you’re not. Two steps forward and one step back is still a step forward.  

How do you move on?

You stop being mad at yourself at the fact that you can’t remember the moments you used to deem so important. You start forgiving yourself for how much you messed up and instead of getting stuck in the cycle of blaming yourself, you learn from your mistakes. A manifestation mindset is important, and sometimes “fake it till you make it” really is the way to go. You may, at times, have no other choice than to fake it. 

How do you move on?

Well, you learn to let go. You start believing in yourself again, as well as the good of the world. You accept that you can’t go back and change things and you learn to be OK with that. This might be a bit of tough love, but you have to learn to be OK with it. There’s no set time limit. But you’ll get there. 

How do you move on?

You move forward. We move forward. We keep going, living, learning and loving. We simply keep moving forward. 

If there’s anything you take from this, please keep loving genuinely and intentionally.

Because, well, what other choice do we have?