By Amber Bhatnagar

Wow. What a semester. 

While 16 weeks and counting might seem long to most students, my time as Blog Editor this semester has flown right past me, and I can’t tell if that’s a blessing or a curse. Heck, this entire year has flown by, for obvious pandemic-related reasons.

As I sit here writing this farewell blog, I’m reminiscing about my time as an editor for The Daily Free Press and, to be honest, I’m already nostalgic for the first weeks of the semester. 

Although my time as the Blog Editor has been completely remote, I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world. I’ve become a better writer, made life-long bonds and gotten to live one of the most historic years in journalism working for our amazing paper.

I won’t lie and say it didn’t make me sad that I couldn’t have the full editor experience of being in our little office underneath Insomnia Cookies every day with my team, because it did. I wanted nothing more than to be in person with them, but hey, that’s just not how life works sometimes. 

As an eboard, we met five days a week nearly every week since May to discuss the daily editorial, and we bonded quickly over our quirky budget questions. 

“Five days a week?!” you might ask. Yes, but I’ve loved every minute of it. I’ve grown to love each and every one of the editors I’ve worked with, and I have the utmost respect for them and their dedication to our publication.

I’ve edited and published nearly 150 blogs this semester, and boy, was it fun reading them all. From movie reviews to deep, personal thoughts, I’ve learned so much about my team of writers, even though I never once got to see them in person.

There’s something so rewarding about reading the personal stories of your writers. We each have our own unique voices and I’ve loved getting to be a small part of their lives and show the world their stories. 

To my writers, you are resilient and talented. Your hard work and communication with me — even remotely via annoying Facebook Messenger — has made being your editor a complete joy and you’ve taught me the value of storytelling.

While I won’t be editing anymore, I will definitely still be writing. You haven’t seen the last of me yet. 

To Angela, Sarah, Melissa, Allie, Max, Colbi, Justin, Cammy and Lauryn, thank you so much for being the best eboard I could’ve hoped for to spend this crazy semester with.

I’ll miss our funny Slack convos, our dusty stick Slack react, talking over each other in Zoom meetings and seeing just your faces daily, but I can’t wait to see what you all achieve in the future because you are all stars in my mind.

Even though we didn’t get to be in the newsroom together to watch the election results unfold and all of the other historical things that happened this year, I’m glad we got to all be together virtually.

Thank you all for being my kindred spirits. 

Until next time, 

Your Fall 2020 Blog Editor, Amber