By Peter Colaner

It’s been a minute since my last installment of a “Trilogy Talk” and it’ll probably be another minute before my next one, now that the semester nears its end. 

I began the semester with a blog about the “The Hangover” trilogy, a series that follows a quartet of friends, otherwise known as the “Wolfpack,” through their dazed explorations and investigations.

Now, I am tying loose ends with a trilogy that has just as many commonalities as it does differences: the “Ocean’s” trilogy.

The “Ocean’s” trilogy follows a different “Wolfpack,” so to speak. Daniel “Danny” Ocean, played by George Clooney, is the chief of a crew who is out for things far more grand, yet they are no more valuable than what Bradley Cooper’s crew is out for in “The Hangover.” 

The Good

In addition to being aesthetically pleasing, director Steven Soderbergh’s vivid coloring accurately depicts the mood of any given scene in “Ocean’s.” I could just watch the trilogy for its sexy and striking visuals.

The “Ocean’s” series is all the evidence you need to see Soderbergh knows how to capitalize on well-written dialogue. You don’t even have to wait one minute to see Soderbergh put into action his clever direction. 

In “Ocean’s Eleven” when the parole board member says to Danny Ocean, “Mr. Ocean, what do you think you would do if released?” Soderbergh focuses on Ocean considering the question. In doing this, it initiates what Ocean has been thoughtfully pondering while paying his dues in jail.

Ocean is a calculated debonair who is cool, calm and collected. Clooney is perfect for Ocean because his personality doesn’t get in the way of his character, making him all the more smooth. 

The Bad

George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts, Andy Garcia, Al Pacino, Bruce Willis, Casey Affleck — the roster of A-List actors in “Ocean’s” goes on and on. 

But after reading a list like that, you expect much more than what this trilogy actually provides. I was expecting Terry Benedict, played by Andy Garcia, in “Ocean’s” to have the fire of his character Vincent Corleone in “The Godfather Part III,” but that wasn’t the case. 

Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth, and this lineup had me preparing to view what I thought was going to be one of the best trilogies of all time. 

The Overall

There isn’t much bad I can say about the “Ocean’s” trilogy. It’s hilarious, it has dire consequences and it’s complex. 

If I were to say the “Ocean’s” series is a bad trilogy, I’d be committing a far worse robbery than that which was done to Benedict.