By Lincoln Son Currie

They are perfect in every way. They have just the right amount of crispiness for the right price. And the post-McDonald’s guilt only increases the pleasure they bring.

I’m talking about McNuggets.

Are they made out of chicken? McDonald’s says yes. I say I don’t care.

I don’t think you should care whether or not the McNuggets are made of real, quality chicken. In fact, they taste so good I would respect McDonald’s more if they weren’t made of chicken and the restaurant still made them delicious.

If you asked me what my favorite food is, I’d probably say steak or Korean short ribs. However, while steak and ribs offer a more lasting satisfaction, they both fail to consistently give me the pure bliss I feel when I bite into a McNugget. 

But are McNuggets the best? Chick-fil-A’s chicken nuggets are the only comparable thing on the market.

McNuggets are cheaper than Chick-fil-A’s nuggets, but people who regularly go to both restaurants should already know this. I always seem to spend more money at Chick-fil-A than McDonald’s. 

If you consider calories per nugget, the case for McNuggets becomes clearer. 

Thirty McNuggets have about 1,250 calories, while thirty Chick-fil-A’s nuggets only have 970 calories. 

Who wants to pay more for nuggets that won’t give you as much energy? When you choose Chick-fil-A’s chicken nuggets over McNuggets, you’re losing out on value and the fuel to go about your day. 

But, everyone knows you can’t get McNuggets or Chick-fil-A nuggets all by themselves — they need a side and a drink to be a full meal. 

You have to consider what you will eat and drink with the nuggets if you want to best evaluate which restaurant has a superior nugget experience. 

Let’s say you get fries as a side and a pop as your drink.

Concerning fries, the choice is clear: McDonald’s fries are in a league of their own. I would take McDonald’s french fries over gourmet steakhouse fries any day.

McDonald’s has perfected their fries’ crispiness and saltiness in a way that Chick-fil-A can only dream of. McDonald’s fries also retain a certain amount of lightness, despite how fatty they are. I can eat an infinite amount of McDonald’s fries, but I can’t say the same about Chick-fil-A’s overrated waffle fries.

To complete the meal, you need a drink to balance out all that salt and fat, and this is where McDonald’s delivers its knockout punch.

McDonald’s serves Coca-Cola products, and the two companies share a beautiful, symbiotic relationship, so it’s no surprise that McDonald’s Coke tastes better. McDonald’s has its syrup delivered to its restaurant locations in stainless steel tanks — not in plastic bags like most other restaurants. 

If you don’t like Coke, there are other options. Another fan-favorite drink is Sprite, which is also a product of McDonald’s and Coca-Cola’s partnership. McDonald’s takes extra steps to filter the water that goes into all of its fountain drinks, ensuring that perfect flavor every time. 

Whether it’s the spicy McDonald’s Sprite that tastes like static — in all the right ways — or the perfect McDonald’s Coke, you can trust the golden arches to deliver on a drink that will wash down your nuggets and fries.

So, if you’re looking for nuggets that are affordable, delicious and complemented by their sides and beverages, choose McDonald’s. They don’t disappoint.