By Maya Frankel

Time really does fly by. I feel like I was just arriving at Boston University on Aug. 27 to move into my dorm. It feels like yesterday that I lugged my countless suitcases into the elevator and then into my new Boston home with my mom. 

I remember feeling nervous and excited at the same time. I was moving to a new city with new people and embarking on a new adventure: college.

I’m at the airport waiting for my flight to board and take me back to Florida, reminiscing about my time at BU this semester.

Let’s see, it was most definitely full of surprises — most good, but some not so good. I learned more about myself than I had ever thought possible and grew into a person with more inner strength. College really opens your eyes to the world and people around you, teaching you so much you didn’t know before.

No one could have predicted how the semester would go in the wake of the coronavirus. Nonetheless, I made the most of my time in Boston. I’m not going to say it was always easy, but my roommate and I had each other, and together, we could do anything. 

I found my routine, alternating between the George Sherman Union and different cafes to do homework after classes, as well as watching, as I said in a previous article, a rom-com a day.

I ordered from Tatte way too often and became a tad too obsessed with Pavement matcha. But hey, it’s the little things that bring me joy in these crazy times.

I made the mistake of Ubering around Boston instead of taking the T, but don’t worry, I finally got a T pass on Oct. 1 after realizing how much money I’d been spending (rookie move).

My bank account is drained from all the cafes and restaurants I went to this semester, but I have no regrets. With all the COVID-19 restrictions, it’s the best way to spend time with friends.

During my first week of college, I was afraid my classes would be too hard, I would want to go home and my dorm wouldn’t feel like home. But boy, was I wrong. My dorm became my safe place where I created friendships that will, as cheesy as it sounds, last forever.

The semester isn’t over yet, but my time at BU until Spring semester is, and it feels bittersweet. On one hand, I am filled with immense excitement to reunite with my family and friends in the warm state of Florida, but on the other hand, I will miss my Boston home.

In typical college fashion, I am boarding my plane in my BU sweatpants and sweatshirt, looking like the college student I am as I make my way home. 

I used to watch parents pick their kids up from the airport as they came home from college, smiling as they embraced their families. Now, I am the college kid running through the airport to hug my family.