By Emma Sánchez

I’ve recently created a little tradition with my family where whenever I get a song stuck in my head, I’ll send it over to them to see how they react. Last week, I told them I was listening to the Beatles song “Golden Slumbers” and my dad replied, “It sounds like you are homesick!” He was probably right. 

The holidays are coming up, and my family events are being held via Zoom. With the weather in Boston quickly becoming harsher, I can’t help but be bummed out. There’s one thing, though, that always manages to get me out of a funk: listening to music that brings up fond memories. 

The Beatles are always a go-to for me because they’re my mom’s favorite band. Back when CDs were a thing, every time I went in a car, my mom would play her extensive collection of Beatles albums on loop.

As I’ve gotten older, I realize my taste in Beatles songs has evolved. When I was younger, I was a big fan of their more popular songs such as “Yellow Submarine” and “Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds.” 

While I still like the classics, I’ve decided that, for this list, I’d go with the songs I listen to nowadays, while filtering out the more popular ones. That being said, there will definitely be the occasional hit that I just couldn’t leave out. Without further ado, here’s my curated list of Beatles songs that evoke a cozy feeling and are perfect to listen to while snuggling under a blanket with a mug of hot cocoa: 

• “Across The Universe”
  • “Mother Nature’s Son”
  • “Good Night”
  • “I’m So Tired”
  • “Golden Slumbers”
  • “Something”
  • “Because”
  • “Michelle”
  • “Girl”
  • “For No One”
  • “In My Life”
  • “You Never Give Me Your Money”
  • “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
  • “Julia”
  • “Long, Long, Long”
  • “She’s Leaving Home”
  • “Within You Without You”
  • “When I’m Sixty-Four”
  • “And I Love Her”
  • “All My Loving”
  • “I’m Only Sleeping”
  • “The Long And Winding Road”
  • “She Said She Said”
  • “Here, There And Everywhere”
  • “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
  • “Sun King”
  • “The Fool on The Hill”

Somewhere in the process of making this list, I realized the Beatles wrote a lot of songs about sleeping and being tired. Were they sending some sort of subliminal message? 

But I digress. Whether you love the Beatles as much as I do or are just looking for something new to listen to, this playlist provides the perfect blend of melancholic and uplifting songs.