By Katrina Liu

If 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that time is fake and totally an illusion. I’m pretty sure my classes are the only reason I semi-know what day it is. Maybe. 

The weekends feel like any other weekday. It’s insane to believe the beginning of this different part of our lives started eight short months ago. It’s insane to think it’s already November. 

November has always been my favorite month, and to be honest, I’m not quite sure why, because this month isn’t always good to me. 

November of 2017 was personally a very hard time for me with schoolwork and social life woes and November of 2018 was a long month of de-stressing from college applications. November of 2019 was one of the times in my life when I felt the most alone. 

So, why the hell do I still say this month is usually my favorite?

For me, November is the start of new beginnings. I know everyone says that’s what spring is for, which I totally agree with. But for some reason, November has always been the month where I learn the most about myself. 

It has always been a time where I feel the most thankful, and not just because of Thanksgiving. It could be the weather, the colors or just the general holiday feeling in the air. Whatever it is, it makes me feel even more reflective than usual, which is a lot from an emotional mess like me. It makes me feel like anything is possible.

Also, the name of the month itself rolls off the tongue so nicely. That could be a stretch, though. 

November has always been an underappreciated month that goes by too fast. Everybody loves October because of Halloween — which is overrated, but that’s a story for another time. Everybody loves December because of the holiday spirit, but November is where it’s at, friends. 

November of 2020 has started off with a lot of stress and then de-stressing from the tumultuous election. With this dumpster fire of a year, who knows how it will end? But November has always been good to me, and I have faith it will do the same this year. To be fair, I’ll take literally any good thing as a win, but that’s still something.

This month is the perfect combination of nostalgia, joyful human spirit and new beginnings. So here’s to you, November. May you bring us everything we need at this time in our lives.

For me, it’s a constant reminder that life can be good.