By Michelle Tian

For those of you who don’t know, Ariana Grande came out with an album entitled “Positions” Friday and I have not been able to breathe properly since the moment she announced the release date. 

Now, I’ve been a die-hard Arianator since 2014, but for the sake of analyzing this album, I’ll try my best to put all of that away and just talk about her sound and lyrics.

One hour ago, I wrote an entire paragraph about how I didn’t like the album (which has now been deleted and replaced by this one). But, I’m currently listening to the songs I wasn’t a fan of at first and suddenly, two of them have clicked with me. So, it’s safe to say that my opinion will probably change again in the next hour. As of 11:56 p.m. Friday, we’re gonna stick with this: 

A lot of the songs on this album are quirky, sexy and upbeat, so it’ll definitely hype you up. But for me, it’s when Ariana slows it down and makes herself vulnerable that I’m really drawn in. 

Songs like “One Last Time,” “Moonlight” and “ghostin” highlight her vocals so well and her voice is just perfect for conveying those emotions. The majority of these songs are trappy, something I don’t think her typical sound fits with well. So, I’m a little disappointed that we don’t have too many songs where she’s raw and completely herself, but then again, it’s all very subjective. 

Let me just be real here: I was expecting more. A big majority of the album is just pure sex, and while those are fun to listen to, I always think of Ariana as someone who’s too talented to sing songs like that. Hits like “God is a woman” and “no tears left to cry” are anthems that show her off as the vocalist of our generation.

This album was lacking just that. Don’t get me wrong, we got some bops. But none of them hit real hard, you know?

I guess a small part of me is hoping she’ll do what she did with her album “Sweetener.” That album wasn’t received too well, but then she dropped “thank u, next” six months after, and that shit slapped.

But then again, she was in a really dark place at that time. And I don’t want her going through anything similar. 

However, I need to just take a moment and praise one of her songs: “pov.” My God, it is so beautiful. This is one of the few songs on this album where Ariana really lets her emotions show while giving us a major serve with her vocals. The sound was so pure and I can already imagine the entire arena filled with lights when she sings this live. It’s magical, and if you’re going to listen to anything, listen to this. 

I also love her lead single, “positions.” It blew up everywhere, so I’m sure you’ve heard it (and if you haven’t, then stop what you’re doing right now and listen), but it’s so catchy and it’s been stuck in my head for the past week.

Most of the songs on the album are similar to the single, but with a slightly different sound, which, to me, sort of detracts from its potential uniqueness. I love variety, and this album just didn’t have too much of that. 

Honestly, though, as long as Ariana releases new music, I’m satisfied. I felt so much happier after listening to the album and I finally have some new songs to listen to.

I can’t wait for the “Positions” album to grow on me more. I can’t wait to watch her top those charts and hear her on every radio station. But most importantly, I can’t wait to start this new era and evolve even more with her. 

Because God knows I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone else.