By Katrina Liu

My roommate and I were talking the other day about how everyone has a “thing.” She loves looking at fashion and I love looking for new music. She immediately agreed, saying that it’s obvious given the amount of time and care I put into my Spotify playlists.

I thought about what she said more and it started to make sense. At first, I made playlists purely based on having an urge to have some sort of organization, but it soon became almost like an art to me. 

I’ve always believed that the music someone listens to is an effective way to learn more about them. Whether the song is something they simply enjoy, they have a specific memory connected to or the lyrics resonate with them in some way, music is so personal.

I take an abnormal amount of pride in my Spotify playlists, which are mostly organized by a theme. Every playlist has a cover image of a flower I find on Pinterest. The reason for that is simple: I really love flowers.

Like many people, I have a playlist of love songs, a playlist of sad and angry songs, and a playlist of songs that are in my current rotation. 

Those playlists are all well-loved, but it’s the more niche ones that I take pride in and describe me the best.

“College Tunes,” while self-explanatory, was created with the notion that one day, I’ll be able to look back on these years with the soundtrack that was accompanying me throughout my journey to receiving a degree.

“Writer’s Block” is filled with tunes that inspire me to create.

“Peppermint Essential Oil” is a special one in that I have cried to every single song on that playlist. What’s interesting is that they aren’t even all sad songs. I guess that says a lot about me. I cry at the most random things and sometimes without any sound reason. 

More recently, I created “White Noise,” probably my most personal playlist, and yet, it’s public because I want other people to not only enjoy these wonderful songs, but also to realize that music equates growth. The songs in this playlist have accompanied me these last few months during a period of great personal growth. 

I don’t know if there’s a point to this post besides plugging my playlists — which, yes, I am doing. Just search my name on Spotify. I know it isn’t for everyone, and if whatever system you have works for you, who am I to judge you?

Perhaps I’m just highlighting the fact that if someone really wants to get to know me, they just have to look at my playlists. It’s all right there. And hopefully, one day, these playlists will act as some sort of time capsule for me.