By Katherine Wright 

Picture this: you’re lying in bed at 11 p.m., desperately trying to convince yourself to get up and do some work, but utterly failing. It’s comfortable here. It’s easy here. I’ll listen to music or watch Netflix or order fries on Uber Eats, anything to avoid doing what I’m supposed to be doing. The hours slip away until suddenly it’s 3 a.m. and you scramble to write something, anything, down and then call it a night. 

Sound familiar? 

Now picture this: it’s 11 p.m. and you’ve been steadily working since 7 p.m., taking brief study breaks to sip your chamomile tea and pick a new calming playlist on Spotify. You’ll go to bed soon and read a fiction book by candlelight underneath your brand-new fuzzy blanket before calling it an evening. You wake up feeling refreshed, energized and excited to start the day. No under-eye circles and not a hair out of place. 

This is the abrupt change in productivity my roommate and I expected to experience when we ordered pajama sets from Target one night, after developing a theory that matching sleepwear is the key to success. 

There’s just something about the mental link between wearing the pajama equivalent of a royal ball gown that seems to go hand-in-hand with the most put-together people: the influencers on Instagram, that one friend who is always three steps ahead in work, the people you see on the street with freshly-curled hair and effortless makeup. Something about them just screams, “My pajamas come in a set and that’s why I wake up feeling wide awake and energetic every morning.” 

As a result, we figured matching pajamas must click something on in your brain to trick yourself into thinking, “Wow, okay, I’m going to make tea and do homework tonight. It never even occurred to me to open Netflix and eat Flamin’ Hot Cheetos until I pass out.” 

Although I recognize how completely ridiculous this theory is, there’s definitely something to be said about making small changes in your routine that empower you to be more productive or make better choices. Drinking warm lemon water in the morning, for example, might have a similar effect on your brain, convincing you you’re ready for an energized day. Matching pajamas are the nighttime equivalent, making you feel organized, comfortable and driven.

So no matter how ridiculous it is, I will sit here, awaiting my Target package filled with productivity, looking forward to the day I make an organized, step-by-step homework schedule for myself and actually stick to it.