By Julia Furmanek 

Put your cell phones on silent and shut your fricking mouths because the spookiest season of the year is about to begin. Like most things this year, a 2020 Halloween will probably look a little different.

But don’t fret, friends. Here’s a list of 10 festive things you might try this month to make it a memorable, but safe, October. 

Decorate Your Door 

Wherever you are this semester, it’s likely there’s some blank door in your living space waiting to be decorated. At my apartment, we painted little white ghosts on a black trash bag and voila, we had a brand new entryway.  

Decorate a Pumpkin 

If carving a pumpkin is too messy to attempt inside your dorm room, embellish your gourd with paint or even a sharpie. Not only does it make for a much simpler clean up, but your pumpkin won’t rot out as fast. That way you can leave it out for all of October. 

Appreciate the Foliage 

Whether you’re strolling down Bay State Road or have access to a hiking trail, if you’re in a city where the leaves change color, take full advantage of it. And if not, I’d still recommend spending a little time with nature as the semester speeds up. 

Make (or eat) Some Pumpkin Bread 

Need I say more? 

Retail Browsing

Target is one of my favorite places to go during this time of year. Even if you’re not there to buy anything, the Halloween novelty goods rolling out right now are really fun to look at. They might even give you a little DIY inspiration. 

Have a Halloween Party With Your Roommate(s) 

Unfortunately, it isn’t socially responsible to have a huge Halloween party at this point in time. But that shouldn’t stop you from dressing up with your housemates. Half the fun is putting together an amazing costume. 

Read “The Crucible” 

Around this time of year, tons of people flock to Salem, Mass. and relish in its history of alleged witchcraft. If you’re stuck outside the state for the semester or just worried about crowds, you can contemplate the narrative of a witch-ridden Salem in Arthur Miller’s famous work. 

Bobbing for Apples (Like, why not?)

I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve only ever heard of this in movies. It does sound kind of fun though. 

Do a Little Research on Paganism 

Many pagan traditions take place in Autumn, and Halloween itself stems from the Celtic holiday Samhain. Take this month as an opportunity to expand your mind and learn about an overlooked religion. 

Halloween Movie Marathon 

If you don’t have a “Nightmare Before Christmas” screening with hoards of candy at your side, have you really made the most of the Halloween season? 

The Halloween spirit is still alive and well, even amid social distancing. Have some fun this month Terriers, you deserve it.