By Khadijah Khogeer

Although I’ve managed to avoid catching COVID-19 thus far this semester — knock on wood — I find myself afflicted with a different type of illness: senioritis. Senioritis is, of course, not an actual medical illness. Rather, it’s a term used to group feelings such as lack of motivation and stress that students often experience during the year leading up to graduation. 

Senioritis occurs twice in a person’s life: in their final year of high school and their final year of college. I’m currently in the latter stage, as I will graduate from Boston University this May alongside the Class of 2021. 

Leaving college is inevitable. Most college students know their time is limited to four years, not to mention parents and older people constantly reminding us to enjoy our college years while they last. With only two semesters left, I feel all the more pressure to make my senior year as memorable as possible.

The biggest obstacle to overcoming senioritis is being a senior during the current COVID-19 pandemic. My final year of college happens to coincide with the new changes to campus life and the introduction of the Learn from Anywhere hybrid model. How can I take advantage of college life when life on campus is so limited?

After taking some time to reflect on my time at BU, I realized how little I’ve been involved in extracurriculars. So, I decided to get more involved in clubs and activities this Fall, even if all of it is conducted over Zoom. Although at times it feels like added work, getting involved on campus, like joining The Daily Free Now — The Daily Free Press’ blog — pushed me out of my productivity slump, a common symptom of senioritis. 

One of the worst things about senioritis is feeling like you have no purpose. I thought by this time around in my life I would know what I wanted to do career-wise, yet, I’m still indecisive about my future. It’s also hard to look forward to post-grad when job prospects have dramatically changed due to the pandemic.  

During the past three years, BU has become my comfort zone. The campus on Commonwealth Avenue gradually became a safety bubble, shielding me from the scary adult world. 

Since I’m an international student, the thought of leaving Boston is hitting me way harder now that I’m a senior. The once unfamiliar city where I spent so much time being homesick is now my home away from home. Being a senior made me more appreciative of Boston and I complain a lot less about the weather and traffic now, which have become trivial things when the thought of saying goodbye is in the back of my mind.

Leaving college behind is hard no matter the circumstances. Being a BU student helped me grow both academically and personally, and I’m enjoying it too much to let it all go. 

I think the true cure to senioritis is accepting that all good things must come to an end. When you’re near the finish line, the last stretch is always the hardest.