By Peter Colaner

Last week I saw “Tenet,” and no, this is not a “Tenet” review as you can see from the title. I have yet to develop a fully fleshed opinion on “Tenet” and hence have not reviewed it yet. 

However, Christopher Nolan’s action-thriller did motivate me to go back and watch the rest of his movies along with other action-thrillers like The Bourne Series. So, for this week’s installment of my blog, that is what I will be discussing. 

The Good

The Bourne Series would not be what it is without directors Paul Greengrass, Doug Liman and Tony Gilroy. 

What these directors excel at, especially Greengrass, is the element of surprise. As seen in the Bourne movies as well as “United 93,” “Captain Phillips” and “Green Zone,” Greengrass heightens moments of thrill by staging calm moments before the action hits. I like this because not only am I caught off guard, but I’m not completely overwhelmed with action that unpacks at an alarming rate. 

Jason Bourne’s ability to read a situation, awareness as to what may come and his ability to adapt on the fly all aid in forming elements of surprise. At times, Bourne may know what the audience doesn’t, but that doesn’t make things any less suspenseful. Instead, it may just make things more suspenseful in that we are eager to see what he is capable of doing next. 

The action is epic, to say the least. Bourne, played by Matt Damon, strikes people as an average guy, but he’s a high-level assassin who can kill just about anybody in the blink of an eye.  

The Bad

It’s not that Damon’s acting is bad in the Bourne film series, but I can only see him as “Matt Damon.” Just like you know Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter or Steve Carell as Michael Scott because they execute their role so exceptionally that we can’t possibly imagine them as anybody else. I don’t get that same feeling with Bourne. 

The Bourne Series is diluted, to say the least. While the series as a whole was highly successful, the last two films have not capitalized on the previous three, but rather reek of an attempt to make more money off the franchise’s success as opposed to telling a compelling story. 

The Overall

Damon as Bourne is entertaining, even gripping at times. After watching the film series, I low-key want to be him. But it isn’t enough for me to call Damon Bourne, through whatever medium I see him. 

However, my opinion on this could evolve if a sixth and final film is made in the series that elevates Damon to the status of being referred to more as Bourne than Damon. Considering the last two Bourne movies have not gotten rave reviews, a sixth and final movie is practically begging to be made for the series to end with a bang.