By Michelle Tian

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, I had grand plans to travel to Singapore over the summer. I figured I deserved it after finishing my freshman year of college. 

But then the world shut down and I was stuck at home all summer, doing absolutely nothing. I feel I have to give my thanks to the nearly 6 million TV shows that I binged in quarantine for getting me through complete boredom. 

So the next time you’re cooped up, even if it’s not from quarantining, here are some of my TV show and movie recommendations. 

The Witcher

First of all, I’d like to start by saying that there are only eight episodes out currently and the second season’s filming has been postponed because of the virus, so if you’re impatient it’s probably best to save this one for right before the second season is released. 

Besides that, this show is incredible. If you’re a fantasy-lover and obsessed with shows like “Game of Thrones,” you’ll love this one. It has magic, action sequences, relatable characters, great acting and scripts and is just an overall complete adventure. 

Also, Henry Cavill is in it, so that should sell you. 

The Mandalorian

I don’t know a single thing about “Star Wars” except that Darth Vader is Luke’s father, whatever that means. But, I finished this show in three days. 

This Disney+ series does a phenomenal job at being a part of the “Star Wars” franchise while also having enough of a difference in its storyline so that the viewers can get a taste of something new. There’s heart, there’s action and there’s humor. 

Plus, Baby Yoda is in it. 

Titans

This show has mixed reviews, but I love it anyway. If you grew up with DC Comics, there’s a chance you’d be disappointed in this show. But as someone who knows barely anything about DC, I truly enjoyed it. Some reviews say it strays from the original storyline, but what stood out for me was the strong women in this show. Their personalities and their abilities shine. Plus, they kicked some serious ass. 

The Walking Dead

I’m currently binge-watching this as I type.

I just started watching it about three weeks ago and I’m absolutely addicted. If you don’t know what “The Walking Dead” is, it’s about a zombie apocalypse and a group of survivors. 

At first, I was skeptical, because how can you keep a show going on for so long when the only villains that appear are just the undead?

I couldn’t have been more wrong. They brought something new and exciting every season, which keeps you on your toes. The writing is top-notch, the acting is godly and there are some heartbreakingly emotional scenes that will stick with you. 

I’m nowhere near caught up with this 10-season show, but I know I’m not going to stop watching anytime soon. 

Marvel

I know this isn’t a TV show, but I had to include it. I’m one of the biggest “Marvel” fans in the world and if you haven’t watched any “Marvel” movies, then what are you doing? 

Do yourself a huge favor and binge all of them. This series is impeccable and has every aspect a good series should. Hell, I fell in love with every single one of the characters. 

“Endgame” was the greatest cinematic experience I had ever witnessed and even if you’re watching it at home from your TV, it’s completely worth it.

Especially after the tragic passing of Chadwick Boseman, who plays the Black Panther, I think it’s so important to see relatable superheroes on screen, representing who you are and who you strive to be.