By Peter Colaner

With the new semester nearing, I’ve compiled a list of the top five must-view movies students should watch before returning to school in Boston this Fall. 

In making this list, I thought it was important to note that the actors are from Boston and have the infamous Bostonian accent, and the films are set in Boston and feature Boston schools. Additionally, each of the films are exceptional movies independent of the Bostonian elements. 

#5: Ted

Given that the current pandemic-era times are tumultuous and depressing to say the least, “Ted” is guaranteed to alleviate those feelings. 

Seth MacFarlane, the voice of Ted, has mastered the Bostonian accent through years of practice in playing Peter Griffin on “Family Guy.”

MacFarlane, who is also the voice of Brian Griffin from “Family Guy,” has an innate ability to humanize animals. In “Ted,” MacFarlane personifies Ted through getting him to talk and giving him a blunt personality. Even when Ted isn’t trying to be funny, he is, for his lack of understanding when it comes to basic situations throughout the story.  

#4: 21

For us Boston University Terriers, the scenes from “21” look all too familiar. 

“21” is a film based on Ben Mezrich’s book “Bringing Down the House,” where a group of Massachusetts Institute of Technology students count cards in an attempt to win big playing blackjack in Las Vegas. 

Although “21” is about MIT students, the scenes of students practicing counting cards are shot in the classrooms of BU’s College of Arts and Sciences building. Watching students soak up knowledge about their passions within the walls of CAS is intoxicating and makes me eager to get back to school. 

#3: The Departed

“The Departed” is a fantastic movie to view upon returning back to BU simply because it is set in Boston. 

Crawling with A-list celebrities and directed by the famed Martin Scorsese, “The Departed” is a quintessential crime movie with a dash of Irish flair that makes the film feel connected to our Beantown. 

This film touches on many points within Boston including the Boston Common, Long Wharf and Chinatown. So, next time you are in the Common, you can tell your friends and family that it was there where Matt Damon played rugby in “The Departed.” 

#2: Good Will Hunting

Considering the Fall semester will be difficult with all of the obvious health and safety regulations, “Good Will Hunting” connects to Boston’s colleges amid the coronavirus pandemic for less-than-obvious reasons.

For one, students this semester will have to be “wicked smaht” in both academics and daily decision making. 

In “Good Will Hunting,” Will Hunting, played by Boston native Matt Damon, faces many difficulties. Over time, Hunting confides his feelings with therapist Sean Maguire, played by Robin Williams, and navigates the obstacles that confront him. 

Similar to the relationship Hunting develops with his therapist, students must prioritize their wellbeing by seeking help from those who can relate to their struggles during this time.

#1: Patriots Day

And in first place, Peter Berg’s “Patriots Day” tops the list of best movies for returning to Boston this Fall. 

Had we not been amid a global pandemic, “Patriots Day” would not be No. 1 on my list. However, seeing Boston unite in reaction to the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings in “Patriots Day” is inspiring and necessary for combating the current COVID-19 crisis. 

Bostonian elements run rampant in “Patriots Day.” The ingredients of starring Boston native Mark Wahlberg, Boston accents and listening to chants of “Let’s go Boston” after the police capture terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, played by Alex Wolff, motivates the city’s returning students.