By Michelle Lu Tian

In quarantine, I’ve found myself on YouTube quite a lot. It’s almost concerning how much time I spend watching videos. 

I’m subscribed to tons of YouTubers and I’m a huge fan of all of them. Valspire Family, Bon Appetit and Michelle Khare are a few channels that I’m starting to love. But today, I am going to talk about one of four people who branched out from BuzzFeedVideo: The Try Guys. 

Each of the Try Guys are unique in their own ways and I enjoy their content so much. All of them bring something new (and hilarious) to the table, and I wouldn’t love them as much as I do if anything was different. However, I would like to talk about only one Try Guy today… and that is Eugene Lee Yang. You’ve probably heard of him. He has a reputation of being “that Asian guy who never tries, yet still somehow manages to get an A+ on every test.”

There’s something about Eugene’s personality that makes me enjoy the Try Guys videos as much as I do; he’s one of those people who are naturally funny. I always have to try so hard to make someone laugh (and it doesn’t work ninety percent of the time), but for him, it seems effortless. 

And of course, if we’re going to fangirl at Eugene, we have to talk about his “I’m Gay” coming out video. When you think about a coming out video, you probably imagine a YouTuber sitting down in front of the camera and letting out all their emotions. But what Eugene did was creative beyond words. 

In the video, each color of the rainbow was represented with an emotion. For example, yellow was love and blue was hate. In just five minutes, he showed the audience many of the problems someone part of the LGBTQ+ community may have to face in today’s society. He not only came out, but he made the world feel what it was like to be in his shoes. And I’m not exaggerating when I say that that’s one of my favorite videos on YouTube; if someone asked me to define “art,” I’d show them that video. 

Ever since “I’m Gay” dropped in June 2019, I’ve noticed that Eugene much more relaxed in the Try Guys videos. He seems to let out an even funnier side of his personality, and it just makes the content that much more enjoyable. He’s just one of those people — one of those people you want to hate because they’re good at everything but you just can’t because they’re so charming. 

Eugene is also painfully relatable. He prefers dogs over humans, and alcohol is his solution for any negative emotions. What’s not to love about a guy who’s relatable?

If you’re looking for YouTube recommendations, I highly encourage you to check out the Try Guys. And if you’re looking for specifically Eugene-related content (which you totally should be), please take a look at their video “Eugene Babysits Ned’s Baby.” It’ll make your whole day better.