By Alia Al-Chalabi

Being stuck in quarantine has given me a lot of time to cook and feel nostalgic towards all my favorite childhood dishes. Roasted chicken has got to be one of my favorite foods in the entire world, but in my family, we’ve never really called it roasted chicken. We lovingly called it “oven chicken,” and I still ask for it as my first meal when I come home to visit from college.

Oven chicken always tastes better with a side of potatoes, but feel free to make any side dishes you please. And for the most authentic experience, you have to eat everything with your hands. 

Ingredients:

• 3 pound chicken
  • 8 yukon gold potatoes
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Utensils:

• Roasting pan with rack
  • Dish for potatoes

Assembly:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On the top rack, prepare a roasting pan on which the chicken will be placed.

Mix together the salt and paprika and then coat the entire chicken with this seasoning. Be sure to sprinkle a little extra as you go, directly from the bottle, until the chicken turns into a beautiful paprika color. Then, place the chicken in the pan. Into the oven it goes.

After one hour in the oven, it’s time to flip the bird to roast the other side. After another half an hour, flip the bird again. Make sure to place the chicken breast side up, and also to put some water in the pan underneath the rack to make sure the chicken drippings do not burn. 

While the chicken continues roasting in the oven, cut the potatoes into ¼ inch disks. Then, in a separate pan, coat them with olive oil, salt and pepper. 

After preparing the potatoes, place them side by side in the oven with the chicken for two hours; both will cook for two hours total. 

Immediately after removing from the oven, let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving. When it’s ready, carve the chicken by cutting the wings and thighs first, then cut the breast into even pieces. 

If coronavirus binge-shoppers have bought all the whole chickens in your local supermarket, you can instead use chicken breast or thighs. To roast this modified version, place these on the rack as well, but cook for about half the time to achieve the same crispness.

This chicken will taste spicy and crisp, while the potatoes will be golden brown and delicious. Enjoy!