By Katherine Wright 

In this strange, overwhelming and complicated coronavirus era, we have been granted the gift of free time. 

Confined to the great indoors, we may as well take advantage of that time to stay healthy and do whatever we can to make sure others stay healthy, too. However, we should also have some fun. 

I have created a list of suggestions to keep things interesting while practicing self-quarantine. 

1. Bake. Start small with a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. But don’t be afraid of fancier treats, like creme brulees, eclairs or macarons … assuming you can find the ingredients in your barren local grocery store. 
  1. Play every single board game you own. And when you get tired of that, create your own. Maybe even market it online to make some money during these trying times. 
  1. Bring back Trivia Crack. You heard me.
  1. Finally figure out what time you need to wake up and go to sleep in order to not feel tired. Discover where the fine line between too much and too little sleep lies, which was previously seemed impossible to strike.
  1. Clean. This hobby will actually be productive, too. Organize your childhood mementoes, donate what you don’t need anymore and Lysol every visible surface in sight.
  1. Finally drink the daily recommended amount of water. Now, you have no excuse not to. 
  1. Become a social media influencer. ‘Nuff said.
  1. Master Adobe softwares. Although, between taking classes on your laptop and using your phone as the primary means of communication with your friends, staring at a screen is probably the last thing you’ll want to do right now. But hey, it’s worth a shot. 
  1. Read. For the first time in a long time, we have the chance to read a book that wasn’t assigned to us. It’s a lot of pressure, really. What book should I read? What if it’s terrible? Just relax. Reading a really good book is like binge watching a TV series, only it doesn’t make you feel like you’ve been sucked into a portal after you’re finished. 
  1. Go the nostalgic route. Go through old yearbooks, make a playlist consisting of your favorite songs from middle school and re-watch your old favorite TV shows. For extra brownie points, you can also re-read your favorite childhood book serieses, and watch all of the corresponding movies. I’m looking at you, Harry Potter.
  1. Train your pet to do cool tricks. Ideally, this will help prevent both of you from going stir-crazy. 
  1. Knitting/ crocheting/ friendship-bracelet-making/ gimp. If you were a Girl Scout at any point in your life, you can probably find the necessary materials buried in the back of your closet (along with a letter from sleepaway camp that details an entire drama of how the troop in the cabin next door kept stealing your s’mores supplies). It’s time to get crafty. 
  1. Do a project you saw on Pinterest. And then repeat the process as many times as it takes to actually look like what you saw on Pinterest. 
  1. Invent (and name) a new color. If you mix paints together long enough, this is bound to happen. Right? Then, come up with the perfect name for it. Do you think the inventor of “sky blue” became famous overnight? No. So, sit down and work on it.
  1. Contact every Uber driver you ever interacted with and figure out why they didn’t give you a five-star rating. Maybe you’ll make a friend in the process. Or a foe.

On a serious note — no matter what you choose to do, practice self-care. Take time for yourself, get enough rest and stay healthy. We’re all in this weird situation together, one new hobby at a time.