By Alia Al-Chalabi

Growing up with parents from another country is amazing because of the different foods I get to try. My mom is from Istanbul, Turkey and the thing I miss most about home is the elaborate breakfast spreads she would prepare. 

It’s the perfect thing to eat in the morning, and it’s super easy. A lot of these ingredients you may not find in a regular grocery store, but any Turkish market will be sure to have some of the necessities. If not, substitutions work great. Here is how you make a delicious and traditional Turkish breakfast. 

Ingredients:

• Tomatoes 
  • Cucumbers
  • Feta cheese
  • Black olives 
  • 1 package sucuk (Turkish sausage) or spiced Italian sausage
  • Turkish pide bread (or French baguette)
  • 2 eggs
  • Jams of choice 

Utensils:

• 1 frying pan
  • Lots of plates for the side dishes
  • 1 spatula 

Assembly:

In Turkey, it’s not just about the main part of your meal; all the sides and accompaniments that are presented on the table. We always have sliced tomato, sliced cucumber and feta cheese on one plate. The next plate will have a variety of jams to choose from to put on your bread. And finally, a small bowl of black olives has to be on the table. Taking everything out of its packaging and assembling it on the table is half the fun.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Take your package of sucuk out of the wrapper. Sucuk is a Turkish sausage that is made from a blend of beef and spices. To remove the sausage casing, take your knife and press one-fourth of an inch into the sausage. You should see a seam start to split that you can rip off with your hands. 

Cut the sucuk into either small blocks or little disks. Put your pide bread in the oven for a quick crisp. This should take about five minutes. 

Take your frying pan and melt one half tablespoon of butter into the pan. Put the sucuk in the pan first, since that will take a little longer to cook than the eggs. Sucuk is already fully cooked when you buy it, but it’s important to fry it a little before eating. Then, drop in two eggs and cook until the center is firm.

Take a spatula and remove the eggs and sucuk from the pan into a plate. Then add your pide bread to the plate and voila! You have a perfect meal. 

Serve with tea or coffee on the side to complete the breakfast.