By Katherine Wright 

In the digital age, short attention spans, constant distractions and easy access to all forms of entertainment create the perfect storm for procrastination. 

With midterms and spring break in the next two weeks, productivity is crucial at this time of the semester. However, productivity is no easy feat and is often accompanied by the following thought process … for me, at least.

1. Okay. Here we go. I’m going to take the world by storm and crank out all of my work efficiently and productively. I’ll still have time to bake a cake, sew a dress and sing with birds in the meadow. 
  2. I’m going to make a thorough, organized, color-coded list of everything I have to do to help me stay on track for the rest of the week. And even though I’ll spend 30 minutes writing out what I have to do instead of actually doing it, I know it will be worth it. 
  3. *Crosses off “Make List” from list* I’m being productive already! 
  4. Okay. The Google Doc is open and I’ve already written my name, the date and the title for it. We’re doin’ big things out here. 
  5. That’s enough work for the time being. I’m going to pick up my phone and just play one game of Candy Crush. Just one. 
  6. This is my sixth game, but I’m almost done with this level. Then I’ll just check Instagram really quickly and I swear I’ll be done. 
  7. *On YouTube* Wow! A cookie decorating video! Those are the best. 
  8. Okay, I really need to get back to work. I promised myself I would be productive. I’m putting my phone away and banning myself from looking at it. Time to focus.
  9. I’m back on the Google Doc. Let’s start collecting sources for this research project. Government sources are reliable, right? Awesome. The Department of Parks and Recreation? I love that show. I wonder how many episodes there are. Let’s find out.
  10. Wikipedia really has a detailed account of “Parks and Recreation.” I’m learning so much.
  11. Thank the lord for YouTube, because this compilation of Ron Swanson’s funny moments is hilarious. 
  12. Back to work. Google Docs. 
  13. Okay. I have written my name and a title placeholder. That is not ideal. Let’s try making an outline. 
  14. Wait — first, I need to grab a snack. While I’m on this break, I may as well watch an episode of “Parks and Recreation.”
  15. Alright, one more episode. But that’s it. 
  16. The season has now ended and the realization that I have done absolutely nothing for the past three hours has now fully sunken in. I regret everything. I am ashamed.
  17. And now it’s so late. Well, I guess I’ll just go to bed and be productive tomorrow.