By Autumn Moon

I never thought that I’d be someone who participated in Greek life. 

Throughout high school, my friends expressed their excitement at the idea of joining a sorority or fraternity where they imagined making life-long friends, fulfilling philanthropic goals and having busy social lives.

I never envisioned myself joining that community. Everything I understood about sororities came from stories I heard or outdated stereotypes, and it just never really seemed like my thing. Once I came to college, though, my perspective shifted. 

I had some older friends who raved about Greek life. They claimed it enabled them to meet incredible people they otherwise would never have crossed paths with, and that made the idea seem more and more appealing as my freshman semester sped by.

One great thing about Greek life on-campus is that students don’t join their first semester. I think that’s a main reason I decided to give it a shot. 

Finding my place at Boston University before I even considered rushing was really important because I made wonderful friends without social constraints or biases. Everything was fresh and new, and possibilities seemed endless.

However, towards the end of my first semester, I grew hungry for more. Going to a “city school” facilitates a lot of independence. As an extroverted person, I felt like there was much more to explore. 

As much as I love and thrive off of the individuality BU requires, I also began wishing for a smaller community where I could get to know more people, so I decided to give sorority recruitment a shot. Most of my friends decided to rush and I felt there was no harm in trying. The worst thing that could happen would be dropping it. So, without much knowledge, I decided to rush.

It was like nothing I had ever done before. 

It was one of the best learning experiences I’ve had. I spent days talking to girls from all walks of life. Some were scientific, some artistic, while others were quiet or outgoing. If recruitment taught me one thing, it was how to talk to any person about anything. 

There’s a lot of social pressure as you go through recruitment. Even if you aren’t constantly being judged, it feels like you are due to a constant spirit of competition in the air.

Recruitment felt intense because you’re not trying to sell yourself on grades, talent or appearance. Instead, you’re trying to sell an entire package of yourself as a person.

Also, everything about the process feels publicized. It’s painful to look around and see a bunch of girls asked back to a house that you weren’t. Although rejection is part of life, it definitely isn’t easy to see a sorority reject you, even if deep down you know it wasn’t right for you. However, it becomes clear that sometimes it’s not personal; sometimes a sorority just isn’t the right fit. 

I went into Bid Day, which is the day you’re given an envelope telling you which sorority will become your home, without knowing anything, so I wasn’t emotionally invested in any particular house. 

However, in four days, I built connections and grew an attachment to the houses and people I met. That was a happy surprise for me and I’m already excited about what’s to come. I can safely say that I am glad I put myself out there and rushed to join a sorority. 

I’ve learned to give things a shot. After all, you never know how much things could surprise you.