By Andrew Harwood

In the cinematic world, live action films are, for the most part, the most prevalent form of film. Whether it be a narrative film, documentary or even a short film, live action films have been dominating the business since the turn of the 20th century.

But a departure from live action films lies in animated motion pictures. Animated films are typical three-act narrative, but have been created through the use of either stop motion, claymation or digital entities. Given the medium, these films typically run in production longer than the average live-action film. 

From writing, recording audio, creating the animation, editing to scoring the film, the manpower, creativity and artistry behind these films are some of the most remarkable talents in the business. 

Some great examples of animated films are “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” “My Neighbor Totoro,” “I Lost My Body,” “Up” and, our film for the week, “Fantastic Mr. Fox.”

Written by Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” tells the story of a career-thief fox, voiced by George Clooney, who tries to pull off one last farm raid before finally dedicating his life to his work and family. After a serious mishap, the raid goes wrong and the fox must protect his community from its farmer’s vengeful ploys. 

Based upon the children’s novel by Roald Dahl, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” was shot using stop motion and clay figure puppets. Since its development in 2004, Anderson and his team worked rigorously to depict Dahl’s beloved tale of a witful fox. 

The compilation of warm color palettes, punchy dialogue, intricate set design, a fitting score and even fitting finale dance sequence, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” is a truly remarkable piece of art and creativity. With an ensemble voice cast of Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray and Willem Dafoe, the movie is a delightful, clever and fun adventure.