By Michelle Lu Tian

Do you feel like a Debby Downer right now? Do you want to just curl up in a ball and cry for the rest of your life?

Don’t worry, I feel you. And I’m pretty sure everyone else feels you, too. It’s just that time of the year. February is the shortest month, but it sure feels like the longest. 

February literally feels like the worst month, and here are five reasons why.

The weather

I love winter, the snow, the holidays and the general vibe. But when it’s been four months of constant freezing rain and wind, it gets a little old.

You kind of just want to scream ‘cos you’re just so over it. You want some nice, sunny, warm weather. Like, please. Please

Valentine’s Day

Whether you’re in a relationship or not, let’s all just admit this: Valentine’s Day is just an attempt at patching you up after an entire week of confusion and meltdowns because it’s borderline a holiday. The second it’s over, you question whether it even happened.

That’s because your professors and bosses don’t seem to care at all about your Valentine’s Day plans, even if they exist and will take up a big part of your day. You get a nice little break for one night and then the next day, bam. Back to reality and you’re drowning in work. 

If you’re single, Feb. 14 is also when you want to get a chocolate bar for yourself but the cashier assumes it’s for your S.O. Like, no. This is for me, myself and I. 

It’s that awkward middle month

You feel like you just came back from winter break so your brain isn’t really working yet, but you still have an entire month and a half to get through before spring break comes. 

There’s nothing else to look forward to. You just kind of have to sit there and suffer until March. 

Bye-bye, lights

This kind of ties to my previous point, but festive lights outside are all gone by the time February hits. Also, there’s just no natural light after 5 p.m. in Boston. Don’t we love that? The world is miserable. 

How do you spell the name of this stupid month?

I realized last year that I’ve been spelling this month wrong my entire life. Apparently the “R” comes before the “U?” The audacity. 

So there you have it. I don’t think there’s much more to say other than sorry, February, but nobody likes you.