By Alia Al-Chalabi

There is no better place to find inspiration than in the grocery store. 

As I walked around the prepared food aisle browsing all the options it had to offer, I came across a parmesan tomato soup. I looked at the pound of skirt steak I had picked up in my cart and a brilliant idea dawned on me: skirt steak grilled cheese — with three kinds of cheeses. In other words, the perfect sandwich for dipping into tomato soup. 

This is a quick and easy recipe that will not only impress, but will take your grilled cheese to the next level.

Ingredients:

Skirt steak grilled cheese:

• ½ pound skirt steak
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • Chili powder
  • Cumin 
  • Red pepper flakes
  • 1 loaf of baguette 
  • ½ cup gruyere cheese (grated)
  • ¼ pound raclette cheese
  • ¼ pound cheese of your choice (I used Spring Brook Farm’s Ashbrook cheese)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Tomato soup:

• 1 container premade parmesan tomato soup (any brand. I used Whole Foods’ Tomato Parmesan Soup)
  • 3 basil leaves (for garnish) 

Utensils: 

• 1 very sharp knife
  • 1 frying pan
  • Tongs 
  • Box grater
  • 1 bowl

Assembly:

Cut the skirt steak into approximately four pieces, each about the width of the frying pan. On both sides, season generously with salt, rubbing the salt into the steak before flipping. Repeat the same technique for the black pepper, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes, one seasoning at a time. 

Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the steak, two pieces at a time. If your steak is cut slightly thicker, use tongs to sear the edges. 

For medium-rare, flip sides after two or three minutes and then remove from heat. Since skirt steak is rather thin, do not cook it for more than seven minutes total if you choose not to go with medium rare. Let the steak rest on a plate before cutting. 

While the steaks rest, cut a baguette into four pieces, lengthwise. Make an incision on one side of the baguette so it opens fully, but make sure it is still connected. 

Next, grate the gruyere cheese into a bowl and cut the raclette cheese and the cheese of your choice into individual pieces that will fit nicely on one side of the bread. Be careful as you place the raclette in the baguette as it will be extremely melty once cooked.

Butter the cheese-less side of the baguette, then sprinkle gruyere into the sandwich. 

This is a good time to heat up the premade tomato soup, either on the stove or in the microwave. Once it has been heated, add three basil leaves per bowl for a beautiful and tasty garnish. 

Meanwhile, cut your already cooked skirt steak into small pieces, going against the grain. Add about four pieces of steak to each sandwich. 

Finally, it’s time to prepare the sandwiches. 

Using the pan you cooked the steak in, wipe off some of the fond that was created from the steak fat. This will avoid a dirty appearance on the sandwich. Heat the pan back up, and then add one tablespoon of butter, letting it melt. Add the assembled grilled cheese sandwiches into the pan, covering with a lid so the cheeses can melt. 

Let cook for about three minutes for each sandwich. 

Serve and enjoy the best grilled cheese you will ever eat!