By Aasha Amber Bhatnagar

Sorority recruitment is something I’ve looked forward to since high school. The lifelong friendships and philanthropy are what I’ve always imagined that being in a sorority would represent.

The two-weekend-long process this year meant a lot of waiting. Turns out, though, recruitment went by in a flash — though the process was very stressful, tearing open my bid made it worth every minute. 

The recruitment process at Boston University begins with a visit to all 10 sorority chapters and each visit gets longer over the course of a four-day period. The fifth and final day is called “Bid Day,” a day which (hopefully) makes this nerve-wracking process worth it — you find out which sorority you were invited to join.

The motto here at BU is “trust the process,” and while I thought it sounded silly at first, it’s so true. Going in with an enthusiastic and open mind will guarantee that you’ll find your home in a sorority that is perfect for you, which I did. 

Although as I’m writing this I’ve been in my sorority for less than 24 hours, I already feel completely at home. My sisters have been commenting and liking my Bid Day Instagram post all night. 

I didn’t want to be disappointed if things didn’t work out for one of the chapters, so I went into recruitment with no expectations. 

On day one, since the conversations were short, it was hard to know which one I liked the best. I was confident in the conversations I had and loved every single one, which made it difficult to make a decision. I took the advice from my Pi Chis (sorority members who have disaffiliated from their sororities to help Potential New Members make decisions) and went with my instincts, hoping for the best. 

On day two, I woke up two hours before my alarm because I was so nervous to see what my schedule looked like, which would depend on which sororities rejected me. 

I had butterflies hoping that I didn’t get a disappointing phone call, but I prepared myself for the worst. Luckily, I didn’t get that call, so I showed up to my scheduled events 30 minutes early. 

Recieving my name tag and seeing my schedule made me so anxious that I felt like I was going to pass out. My legs felt like noodles, which is a weird feeling — especially when you’re standing in a herd of girls who all feel the same way. 

When I was called back, I wanted to scream and hug every single person near me. I never thought I would be the girl who gets overly emotional during this process, but I was so grateful for being chosen to come back to each and every chapter I wanted.

By the end of day three, Philanthropy Day, I fell in love with one of the chapters and wanted to cry every time I walked into their room. When I ranked that chapter as my top on Preference Night, I was hit with an overwhelming sense of nerves, hoping they loved me just as much as I loved them. 

I went back to my dorm, waiting for what felt like ages for Bid Night. I knew that I would be happy in both of the chapters I listed, but I had a clear preference.

Bid Day arrived, and when we counted down to open our envelopes, we all screamed and ran to our chapters. 

I heard other girls trash-talking the chapter I fell in love with, but I didn’t let that phase me. I’m so thankful I went through this experience because I ended up in the chapter I love with girls who will be my friends for life. 

I’m so happy that I found my home, and I hope my sisters feel the same way.