By Alia Al-Chalibi

I love Buffalo wings. Every year, the Super Bowl reminds me of how much I like them. 

The only way to make Buffalo wings better is to make them vegetarian and eat them year-round. After all, I’m just in it for the sauce, which is the easiest part to make. And using cauliflower instead of chicken makes for a nice and crispy bite. 

Cauliflower also lends itself to a texture similar to a traditional chicken wing. Although it can be tricky to cook with, it will be super easy if you follow this recipe. Also, Buffalo wings usually aren’t breaded, but cauliflower can’t crisp up like a chicken wing. Since we’re going to bake these instead of frying them, it’s essential to dip them in a batter first. 

Ingredients:

• 1 head of cauliflower 
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup of butter
  • ½ cup of hot sauce
  • Salt 
  • Pepper

Utensils:

• 4 large bowls
  • 1 baking sheet
  • Parchment paper

Assembly:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Cut your cauliflower into little spheres, as many as you’d like — size and shape really don’t matter here.

Place ½ cup of flour in a bowl. In another bowl, crack both eggs and whisk until no white is visible. In a third bowl, place the remaining ½ cup of flour, adding salt and pepper to both bowls of flour. Then, dip the cauliflower in the flour, then egg, then flour again.

Arrange your coated cauliflower evenly on the baking sheet. To avoid a mess, place a piece of parchment paper on the sheet. Baking the wings at a high temperature for a shorter period of time is ideal in getting them to crisp, so put them in the oven at 450 degrees for just 30 minutes.

While the cauliflower is baking, melt the butter either in a microwave or over the stove, and then place it in the fourth bowl. Be careful not to burn the butter — and if you do use the microwave, pause if every 20 seconds so it doesn’t “pop.” Once the butter is melted, add ½ cup of the hot sauce of your choosing. 

While vinegar-based hot sauce is normally used for Buffalo wings, I prefer one with a little more heat. Add a little bit of black pepper if desired, but also feel free to play around with it and make multiple sauces. 

Once the wings have been baked, toss them in the Buffalo sauce for a nice, even coating. Make sure to be generous with the sauce so that they taste just like regular wings.

Finally, enjoy this delicious snack (or meal, depending on how many you eat)!