When I was in middle school, the only things I cared about were One Direction and Frappuccinos. And if you knew me during that time, I’m sorry. I hated myself, too, and probably flirted with you.

Exposure to better music and maintaining a six-pack have unfortunately buried both of those 2012 essentials deep into who I am today. At the core, pre-teen me is very much still present. I made some bad decisions in this time of my life — which I think all of us did —  but looking back on them makes me feel a lot better about who I am presently to the world.

These are what I consider the worst trends from that awkward, pubescent time of my life:

Picnik photo editing

That online app where you could use overly saturated filters and bubble letters? Picnik walked so Instagram could run. The online app was essentially a combination of Adobe Photoshop, Instagram and Microsoft Paint. It allowed middle schoolers everywhere to put their best duck face forward on Facebook, which brings me to my next trauma.

“Like for a truth” or those “tag yourself” Facebook posts

Because telling your crush how you feel in person is not an option. And neither is rejecting that Cheeto-stained fingered boy in a Phiten necklace who won’t leave you alone.

Victoria’s Secret Pink V-necks

Why the cool girls at my school wore these, I don’t have an answer. Although I wasn’t one of those cool girls, I still wore that godforsaken v-neck. It was totally a facade. My mom “can’t understand why you’d spend $30 on a tee-shirt you can get the exact same one at Meijer,” but I was really just trying to live my best life and show off my developing breasts.

Silly Bandz

I’ll vouch for the glow-in-the-dark animal toys, but those zoomorphic rubber bands that everyone wore as bracelets were terrible; people traded them like drugs and they tore friendships apart. 

Hair feathers

You weren’t worth talking to during my junior high unless you had those hair extensions that looked like colorful quail feathers. And if you were extra cool, you had hair glitter extensions, too. I remember the trend dying off once white moms got involved and started wearing them in their poorly highlighted 50-year-old hair. It won’t make you look younger, Susan.