By Katrina Liu

Roughly one month into 2020, I’m assuming most of us have broken the resolutions we promised we would never break on the first day of the new year (and decade). That’s why I’ve never liked the idea of “New Year’s resolutions.” They seem so temporary, and somewhat of an excuse to start good habits that you could start anytime. 

At the beginning of the year, I see posts on social media that repeat the same goals from the year before. The only difference is the year they posted them. 

A lot of times, New Year’s resolutions are just for show; they get swept under the table after a couple of weeks. We change so much within a year. Our priorities change as we experience different things — as our lives change. How can we set goals for ourselves when we don’t even know who we’ll be in a year?

That’s why I’m a fan of “non-resolution resolutions,” if that makes sense. I think short-term, specific and feasible goals are more effective than long term, general goals. 

Goals are good to keep you on track in however way you want. I’ve learned that weekly goals work for me, and I encourage you to find what works for you. 

In fact, those goals don’t have to be huge. In fact, if they’re too daunting, you have less motivation to actually achieve them. I’ve found that if I’m having a rough week, even tiny, mindful goals like “Stay positive,” or, “Enjoy every moment” can be helpful. Also, putting these kinds of goals somewhere you can physically see — like in a planner or on a sticky note stuck to your bulletin board — can remind you of the bigger picture. 

While the idea of resolutions themselves are great, the ways in which society views them now makes it seem almost as if they’re expected to be broken and then repeated again and again, year after year. 

Short-term, specific goals better hold you accountable and create a sense of security that your life is somehow on track. And we all know how much we need that gratifying feeling sometimes.