It’s my second week back at school after winter break, and I want to go home. Not because I’m miserable — that’s a different story. I just don’t want to be here.

Although I love my the ambiance of the Pike out my window as I try to fall asleep every night, I’d prefer to go back to suburban Ohio where things are easier. But I’m not doing that, because I don’t really have a choice. 

That said, Boston is not a city for weenies. 

I’m not singling out “weenies” as people who think Boston is rough around the edges… it totally is. I’m also not criticizing anyone who suffers from emotional issues and struggles with finding coping mechanisms. Believe me, I, more than anyone, understand how that goes. 

All I’m saying is that taking the easy way out happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves, so watching my friends fall into self pity in a dog-eat-dog city like Boston irks me a lot. I can’t fathom coming here for college expecting to be coddled, let alone neglect to make my time here enjoyable. We’ve got four years — at least — so unless you decide to transfer or drop out, you may as well work through your demons rather than skate by in survival mode the entire time.

I’m calling on any BU student sitting in a puddle of tears and feeling sorry for themselves to suck it up and put on their big kid pants. Or change their wittle baby diaper. Boston is tough, and to live here, you have to be, too.

Consider this blog post to rival Adam Smith’s “The Wealth of Nations.” Except that I would like to make clear that I’m a socialist. 

Going out is hard when you feel vulnerable or depressed, but unless you have a mobility impairment, I’m telling you that you gotta do it. You just gotta. That doesn’t mean going into the city and throwing yourself full force into the bustling Fenway area. Or maybe it does. But if you need to ease into an urban environment, go somewhere like comforting Cambridge or the scenic Riverway, where it is easier to be in tune with your surroundings. A good walk through nature or a quaint neighborhood should, at a minimum, bring you back to a place of self awareness; it’s a good starting point. 

Still not feeling it? Pick up the phone. Call a cheerleader. And don’t feel like a wimp if you need a good pep talk or a stern talking to from a friend or family member. Sometimes, I call my parents, my sister and my best friend all in the same day. I know how pathetic and lonely that sounds, but college is about staying a float, and sometimes that familiarity is what you need. If you have no one in your life to occupy that role, go to office hours. As weird as that sounds, professors can seriously boost your confidence, and it also makes their job more fulfilling. 

I’d like to emphasize that last point, because most “How to get it together” articles will tell you to make new friends. Let’s be realistic for a second — that is so difficult at BU, and usually not feasible when the brain is in crisis mode. While I like this school a lot and have made amazing friendships, it is vicious and unfriendly. Your takeaway from this is that good people are out there, but finding them requires a little more energy than someone on the struggle bus probably has available. But that’s okay, you’ll get there.

Luckily, the January blues are nearly over and February is the shortest month. If all else fails, we’ll get some daylight savings here in no time and hope for the best.