By Aasha Amber Bhatnagar

Sorority recruitment is a little under two weeks away, and each day that passes makes it seem all the more nerve-wracking. Picking out outfits, practicing what to say and preparing to impress the girls who could be my future sisters have been some of the top things on my mind since I signed up for recruitment in November. 

I have a million questions regarding what to say and how to act, but I don’t know how to ask them. I’ve heard several girls say what not to do, how not to dress, et cetera. Luckily, what I’ve learned is not to panic, because there are hundreds of girls in the same position as I am: nervous and anxious, yet overwhelmingly excited for what’s to come. 

That said, here’s some advice that I think will benefit all of us going through recruitment.

We’re all unique, so don’t be afraid to be yourself. 

If you feel like you have to act like someone else to fit in, it’s probably not the right place for you; pretending to be someone else in order to impress others will put you in a chapter you’ll most likely feel uncomfortable in. Also, don’t follow your friends around and act differently from your normal self just to end up in the same sorority together. What’s right for them might not be right for you. 

All of us are nervous, and it’s okay to be. 

If you’ve been looking forward to recruitment since high school, like me, even thinking about it gives you butterflies. Recruitment will be all about first impressions, since we only have a limited amount of time to talk to each sorority. Put your best face forward and remember that everything will fall into place just like it’s meant to be. 

Don’t be afraid to ask the girls questions. 

Although we’re going to be bombarded with the same ice-breaker questions a million times, you should ask specific questions about the chapter itself. Learning about what their values are can help you decide if it’s for you. Thoughtful questions will also show that you’re interested, and you’ll be able to create a bond right off the bat. 

Lastly, make your own decision. 

Join a sorority because you love their philanthropy, the girls and, most importantly, because you truly feel at home. Don’t choose one based on gossip, popularity or because your friend chose them. Only you know where you belong and who you will fit in with. 

In the end, we’ll end up exactly where we were meant to be with a lifetime of memories to come. From one potential new member to another, good luck!