By Katherine Wright

All of the Santa-shaped chocolates flooding the stores — before Thanksgiving — have led to a premature holiday spirit and I’m all for it. Any excuse for putting up pretty lights and watching endless repetitions of the Grinch. 

However, when you think “Grinch,” you generally think of hatefulness, bitterness, isolation and thievery — opposing forces to the cheery holiday spirit. They even sell toys and stuffed “Grinches” with menacing smirks forever forced on their faces. There are probably no positive or redeeming traits that immediately come to mind when you think of the fuzzy green monster in the Santa suit. The Grinch’s reputation as a Christmas-killer lives on. 

And I’m here to passionately call for a change. Dare I say the Grinch doesn’t deserve his static standing as a mischievous, villainous thief. 

Yes, he stole the presents from the people of Whoville in an attempt to ruin their merry holiday. And yes, he sulked and manipulated and plotted less-than-honorable acts. Yes, he was a thief, and yes, it’s even in the title, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” 

But the entire point of the movie is that the Grinch overcame his bitterness and joined in on the merriment. His heart grows three sizes, after all and he gets the honor of carving the roast “beast,” a representation of his newfound understanding of joy, kindness and gratitude.

Rather than focusing on this critical character change, we shrink and adjust our minds to uphold the poor Grinch’s unfortunate reputation. The Grinch continues to be consumed with negative connotations, defined by his initial act of ignorant, bitter theft. 

We claim that people don’t change. Mean stays mean, kind stays kind and, even during periods of fluctuation, where mean people may seem kind and kind people may seem mean, we assume the status quo inevitably return, reverting back to its supposedly ingrained, natural form. 

But the Grinch is proof that liberating change is possible. No longer shall he be a mascot for crankiness and anger; no more shall his flawed history be displayed year after year in a cyclical cycle of sameness. The Grinch is an instrument of change, a symbol for redemption and the perfect representation of the premature holiday spirit that now floods every Target and CVS in America.