By Andrew Harwood

When it comes to “teen dramas,” a narrative tends to include comedic, romantic and serious aspects. Utilizing a secondary school as the setting, the “teen drama” in all tells the story of the youth and all that comes with that. 

Popularized in the 1980s, thanks to John Hughes and his films “The Breakfast Club,” “Sixteen Candles” and “Pretty in Pink,” the teen drama stole America’s heart, making way for thousands more to come.

Aside from the aforementioned films, some great examples of teen dramas include, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” “The Spectacular Now,” “Juno,” “Dazed and Confused” and, our film for the week, “Lady Bird.” 

Written and directed by Greta Gerwig, “Lady Bird” tells the coming of age story of a 17-year-old Sacramento girl named Lady Bird, played by Saoirse Ronan, as she juggles relationships, religion, the future and her exasperating mother, played by Laurie Metcalf. 

Set during the prelude to the war in Iraq, “Lady Bird” follows Lady Bird through her senior year, as the artistically inclined teenager battles her Catholic school regime and home life as she strives to find independence and a purpose in life. 

Produced by the famously independent film studio, A24, “Lady Bird” earns its place as a strikingly unique film, with a candid script, heartfelt performances, sharp humor and a memorable soundtrack.

Supported by brilliant performances by Timotheé Chalamet, Beanie Feldstein and Lucas Hedges, “Lady Bird” is a brilliant depiction of teen drama in the backdrop of emotional conflict.