By Ryan LaRosa

Boston is home to a wide variety of specialty coffee shops and roasters. In recent years, the scene has grown across the city, with some older shops expanding to multiple locations and new shops popping up quickly. Here at Boston University, Starbucks is a mainstay, with many locations across campus. While convenient, there’s so much more to coffee than Starbucks. Whenever you have a second, take the opportunity to venture away from campus and enjoy one of Boston’s many great coffee shops.

In my first blog in this series, I wrote about Boston specialty coffee legend George Howell and the new café he opened at the Godfrey Hotel in Downtown Crossing in 2016. Three years later, George Howell has opened the fourth location at the new Time Out Market in the Fenway neighborhood just a few months ago.

George Howell is still easily one of, if not the best, coffee roasters and coffee shops in the Boston area. By opening up a location in Time Out Market, hopefully even more people will come to know how wonderful these cafes are and more people from the surrounding area will have the opportunity to try some great coffee. 

Time Out Market is an awesome development for the city of Boston, serving as a center for so many great Boston area chefs, restaurants and drinking establishments. Fifteen different vendors are packed inside Boston’s historic Landmark Center at 401 Park Dr., offering visitors and locals the opportunity to try some of the best food and drinks the city has to offer, all under one roof. 

While keeping the feel and design elements of the beautiful art deco style from 1929, the market seamlessly folds in a modern feel. Communal tables in the large hall offer a chance to mingle with friends and bring large groups where everyone can try and taste something different. 

As for the George Howell location in Time Out Market, expect to see the same excellent quality, freshly roasted single origin coffees being made into delicious handcrafted drinks. The location features a weekly rotating selection of coffees and a variety of ways to have them brewed, including pour-over and a variety of espresso and milk based drinks. 

The espresso is exceptional and not to be missed, whether you take it in the form of a latte, cappuccino or on its own. Don’t forget about George Howell’s excellent selection of tea based beverages. A personal favorite of mine is the London fog, consisting of earl grey tea steeped in steamed milk.

As is the case with all the other George Howell locations, part of what makes them so special is how knowledgeable and willing to help the staff are. Everyone who has helped me has been friendly and extremely informative. If you aren’t sure what to get, or what single origin varietals of coffee to choose, let them know and they’ll help you find something you’ll enjoy. If you need coffee for home, George Howell sells some of the best, freshest beans, and it’s definitely worth a try. The staff are always willing to help sort out what roast and bean will be best for you given your preferences and brew method. 

If you’re hungry, George Howell offers a selection of delicious pastries to go along with your coffee, or you could go to the stall right next to them and grab yourself a Union Square donut. That is certainly where the beauty of Time Out Market lies. Some of Boston’s best coffee next to some excellent donuts, and all you have to do is move six feet to the right, not halfway across town. The same could be said for many of the vendors at the market, all offering unique food and drinks to pair with one another, only possible at Time Out. If you have the chance, definitely stop in and give the market, and George Howell, a shot.