By Alia Al-Chalabi

There’s nothing better on a cold and rainy day than a hot bowl of beef stew over egg noodles. Here’s how to make it:

Ingredients

• 1.5 pounds of stew meat 
  • 1 box chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons rosemary 
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon oregano 
  • ½ white onion
  • 4 cloves garlic 
  • 3 carrots 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil 
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce 
  • 1 bag egg noodles 

Utensils

• A large pot 
  • Chef’s knife
  • Cutting board 

Assembly 

Heat olive oil on the stove in the pot and add finely chopped onion. Cook for about five minutes until they are translucent. Add the stew meat and brown on all sides, then add garlic and cook about another two minutes. Do not add garlic earlier or it will burn and make your stew taste extremely bitter.

Once the meat is browned on all sides, you’ll probably notice a browned bottom of the pot and some sticking. You have created fond, the most delicious part of the stew. Add in soy sauce to the pot and then start scraping. Now the fond should be free. Immediately add the entire box of chicken broth here and start stirring. 

Now add in your seasoning and carrots. I recommend so little salt because when you add mustard, spices and soy sauce, you could end up oversalting. When you make a stew, the broth is going to reduce over the cook time, which will make the salt very concentrated. You don’t want this, so undersalt.

Leave your stew to cook for at least an hour and a half with the lid cracked open so as to not boil over your pot. Stir occasionally. You’ll know it’s done when the carrots are soft, the broth is light brown and the meat is still together. If your meat is falling apart, you have cooked your stew too long, but it’ll still taste good.

Take your stew off the heat and let it rest for ten minutes with the lid on. Now cook your egg noodles for the recommended time on the packaging. Make sure to salt the water before it boils. Again, try to under salt here. 

Ladle the broth and meat onto a bowl of egg noodles and enjoy!