By Aasha Amber Bhatnagar

As a student on a budget, buying trendy clothes can be a challenge. Fashionable new clothing can be expensive and most trends don’t last very long, turning your expensive clothing into last season’s leftovers. Though every once in a while it’s nice to treat yourself, sometimes spending less to get more is the magic recipe to saving your fashion sense. 

Luckily for college students, thrift shopping is totally in right now. Uncovering some of the hidden gems in thrift shops can be a thrill, especially if it’s something you love that would’ve cost twice as much if bought new. As they say, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. 

Boston has its fair share of charming thrift stores, but each one has a different vibe and with different vibes come different styles and prices. 

Here’s my guide to the five trendiest thrift stores in Boston.

Buffalo Exchange

Located in Allston, Buffalo Exchange is just a short walk, T ride or drive from campus. The vibe of Buffalo Exchange makes you reevaluate whether or not you’re in a thrift shop or a hip boutique on Newbury Street. They have a range of styles in mens and womens clothing and everything meets the hottest trends with a vintage flare. Make sure to sign up for their email list to find out about Student Discount Day.

Vivant Vintage

The name of this thrift shop speaks for itself. The colorful, edgy artwork painted on the outside of this shop will pull you in and transport you to Los Angeles circa 1980. Also located in Allston, Vivant Village allows you to enter a magical, yet edgy space of vintage clothing, cameras, sunglasses, shoes — even typewriters. Walking into this store, you’ll find an assortment of clothing from the 1950s to 1990s and a plethora of vintage band tees. 

Castanet 

Looking for more of an elegant runway vintage vibe? Look no further than Castanet. More on the pricier side, you’ll find items from designers such as Dior, Chanel and Isabel Marant in this elegant boutique on Newbury Street. Beware: although these items are still cheaper than if you were to go to Chanel, they’re still pretty pricey. If you’re looking to splurge on some high-end wear for half the price, step into Castanet and you won’t be disappointed. 

Urban Renewals 

Urban Renewals, another Allston shop, has treasures for just about every style. This shop doesn’t only sell clothing; they have anything from books to shoes to house decor. Pro tip: this store is cash only, so make sure to find an ATM to get the full experience. 

The Garment District

The Garment District is literally overflowing with vintage clothing. Located in Cambridge right across from the Charles River, The Garment District is not your typical thrift shop. Be ready to have to literally dig yourself out of a pile of clothing that spans for what seems like miles to find your treasure. The Garment District is set up into a thrift section, a halloween costume section and a huge pile of clothing you can purchase by the pound (yes, you read that right). Bring cash and a lot of patience to this trendy shop.