By Leigh Brand

As we move through October, I am constantly bombarded by the flavor that we know all too well: pumpkin spice.Whether I’m grabbing a coffee on my way to class or buying cereal from the grocery store, pumpkin spice-flavored something is there, ready to buy.

When did a flavor become a marker of such transition? As soon as pumpkin spice emerges on shelves, we all know fall is here. Who knew a flavor could hold so much power?

I personally don’t understand the craze. While I’m not strongly opposed to the taste of a pumpkin spice latte, I cannot say that it is my first choice or something I would willingly wait in line for. Caramel or mocha, that’s a different story completely. But for many others, a pumpkin spice latte is a holy grail purchase and a fitting way to celebrate the season.

As for the few pumpkin flavored treats I’ve indulged in this fall, I would recommend trying Pepperidge Farm’s Pumpkin Spice Swirl Bread. Toasted and paired with butter, it’s a sweet and festive treat to have first thing in the morning. The flavor is definitely there but it’s not too overpowering.

As for eating out, I have tried the pumpkin cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory. I was skeptical at first as I am not one to stray from my typical order. Although I would probably never order it again and would be unable to eat more than just a few bites in one sitting, I have to admit that it was pretty good. 

So if you’re an avid pumpkin spice fan, take advantage and treat yourself to that latte or choose from a multitude of treats. It’s definitely calling your name. As for me, I’ll be sticking with what I know and enjoy — hot chocolate.