By Alia Al-Chalabi

Have you ever over-paid for an açaí bowl, but not cared because it was the most delicious $13 you’ve spent? Same here.

The solution? This recipe for quick and inexpensive homemade açaí bowls that taste even better than the ones from that expensive juice bar.

Ingredients

• Two packs of frozen açaí (can be found at most grocery stores in the freezer section)
  • ¼ cup frozen blueberries
  • ¼ cup frozen raspberries
  • ¼ cup frozen blackberries
  • ½ cup and 3 tablespoons milk (dairy or non-dairy)
  • Granola (for flavors, I recommend honey and oat)
  • Honey for drizzling (optional)
  • Fruit of choice for garnishing 

Utensils

• Blender

Assembly

Run your frozen açaí pack under hot water until you can break the brick in half, then drop the contents in the blender. This makes the blending process faster. Next, add in your frozen blueberries and frozen raspberries. You can also add frozen blackberries if you have them, just  be weary of adding all three because it could become too thick and won’t blend properly. I usually blend the raspberries into the mix for a tart-tasting bas and then top the finished bowl with blackberries. I highly recommend you don’t use fresh berries, as it won’t yield the same thick consistency as frozen ones do.

Now add half of the milk and all of the yogurt. There will probably be a point where the mixture is so thick that it stops blending, and this is where you should add in the rest of the milk to get the mix going again. You should end up with a consistency that is thick enough that all toppings will sit on top of the mixture without sinking in. 

Garnish with granola, frozen or fresh berries of your choice and finish with a drizzle with honey (or agave syrup if you’re vegan). 

And there you have it! Now you can enjoy a great açaí bowl at a fraction of the price.

Bonus: On the go? Spoon the açaí mix into a reusable mug, preferably with a reusable straw to be #sustainable. Toss some granola into a tupperware container and as you walk to class, the consistency should soften up enough that you can sip it like a very thick smoothie. Eat the granola on the side for a class-approved breakfast.  

Bon appetit!