By Katrina Liu

Self confidence is something that many of us aren’t born with. For some bizarre reason, society often makes us feel like we’re not good enough by some unspoken standard. The journey to loving yourself is a slow and arduous one and it is different for everybody. Here are the things I try to do when I need to feel better about myself.

1. Find what you love doing and do more of it.

We all have busy lives as college students so this may seem extremely hard, but try to prioritize more time for yourself to do what you like to do — something that isn’t for a class or a job, but for yourself. These can be playing an instrument, listening to music, reading a good book, writing for fun or anything in between. Even taking a couple minutes out of your day to do something you actually enjoy will slowly make a difference.

2. Sleep

As simple as this one is, I think it’s an unappreciated one. More often times than not, things are always better in the morning. Go to sleep. Tomorrow’s a new day.

3. Take it day by day. Hour by hour, even.

On the extremely hard days, plan what you’re doing for the day. Or the next hour. Make a mental checklist or write it down. Everytime you finish something, acknowledge the accomplishment. Small wins are just as important as big ones. Give yourself more credit. You’re doing enough.

4. Give a compliment. Accept a compliment.

Tell the person at the front desk how much you like the way their hair is curled. Say “thank you” and mean it when someone tells you how much they like your shirt. We give out compliments like it’s nothing, yet are hesitant to accept them. Spread love and acknowledge that you deserve the same amount of love in return.

5. Surround yourself with people who lift you up. 

Don’t be afraid to lean on people who care about you and your wellbeing. Spend time with people who make you forget about the troubles, even if it’s just for a night. Or, be with people who you can cry to, who will listen to you and give you all the hugs. We often think we are alone in this journey, but we forget that our friends and family are support systems who want to help and care about us.