By Alia Al-Chalabi

The best recipes are made in one pot. Minimum clean-up for maximum flavor. For a flavorful and fun recipe that is sure to impress, follow this easy one pot jambalaya recipe that can be made vegetarian, pesecatarian or a meat-lovers’ dream!

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 1/4 cups of rice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 stalks of celery
  • 3 tomatoes 
  • 1 onion
  • 3 cloves diced garlic
  • 2 jalapeños
  • 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce 
  • 2 tablespoons garlic pepper
  • 3 or 4 bay leaves 
  • 2 tablespoons black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
  • 1 handful cilantro
  • Half a bag frozen shrimp — optional
  • 2 sausages of choice — optional
  • Chicken breast shredded — optional 
  • Lime for garnishing

Utensils:

• One pot 

Assembly:

• Chop up the garlic, onions and celery and add into a pot over medium heat and let them sweat with the lid covered, stirring occasionally. Once the ingredients become translucent, dice the tomatoes and add. Once the tomatoes begin to break apart, add the chicken broth. If you are a vegetarian, vegetable stock will work, as well, just note the product may be more liquidy.
  • Bring the broth to a low simmer and then add rice. Add the jalapeños, along with the Worcestershire sauce, garlic pepper, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, paprika and red pepper flakes.
  • Cook for about 35 minutes. The rice should be tender and start to soak up all of the juices. At this point if you want to add meat, here’s your chance. If not, cook for ten more minutes and serve.
  • If you do want meat, at 35 minutes, add in the frozen shrimp. Cook until the shrimp turns pink. This is my favorite way to have jambalaya.
  • If you like sausage, you can either add it at 35 minutes or earlier. The earlier you incorporate it, the less bite it will have. Note that if you’re not using something like a pre-cooked block of chorizo that you could eat like cold cuts, you will have to saute it first. This is easy to do. Just add olive oil to a pan and cook for about 5 minutes, then add to the jambalaya. 
  • If you want to add chicken, you can shred a chicken breast and add at the beginning of the process, just note that you will likely need more chicken broth to make up for the liquid the rice will be losing (about half a cup). 
  • Once the rice, spices and meat have been incorporated almost completely (don’t be surprised if there’s almost no liquid left) squeeze a lime over the dish for a little freshness. 
  • Bon appetit!