By Aasha Bhatnagar

Though it’s pumpkin spice latte season and wearing a Boston University crewneck is all the rage on campus, the weather in Boston lately has been fluctuating more than my preference for iced or hot lattes. If you’re like me, also from a city like Los Angeles where fall is non-existent, you’re eagerly waiting for the leaves to start turning into luscious shades of orange and red so you can ditch your summer shirts for cozy sweaters. 

We’re still in the midst of the transition from summer dresses and sandals to leggings and sneakers, so it’s hard to pinpoint what will be the hottest fashion trend of the fall season. 

Here are my three tips to transition your wardrobe from summer to fall amidst the fluctuating Boston weather without sacrificing style.

Layers on layers on layers 

In Boston, it can go from 60 degrees and rainy to 80 degrees and humid in the time it takes for you to walk from your dorm in West Campus to class in the College of Arts and Sciences. With such varying temperatures, layers are key to looking trendy without getting stuck in a bulky sweater after an afternoon temperature spike. 

Try pairing a black crop top with some denim (my favorite: dark, high-waisted mom jeans) and layer it up with a camel-colored, double-breasted coat. Cold in the morning? Add another sweater or scarf. Hot in the afternoon? Remove the outerwear. It’s as simple as that.

To keep it comfy — we all have those unfortunate 15-minute breaks in between two classes that just happen to be on opposite sides of campus — tie the look together with a pair of all-white sneakers. Practical and cute.

Animal print is back

Thought animal print was out of date? Well, sorry (not sorry) to say, but it’s here to stay. Adding a little (or big) touch of animal print to your outfit will instantly edge up your style this fall. Scarfs, shoes, skirts — just throw it all in, although we don’t recommend altogether. Animal print was a huge summer trend, so you can incorporate that  animal-print skirt you bought back in July with a black leather jacket and easily turn your summer look into an edgy fall statement piece. 

The great thing about animal print is that it adds a pop to any outfit that’s feeling a little drab. An outfit I’ve been wearing on the regular: black denim with a solid-color blouse or sweater, tied together by an animal-print accessory of your choice. 

Cozy, cruelty-free fur

When those crisp fall days we’re all anxiously awaiting actually arrive — hopefully soon — toss a faux-fur coat on top of any outfit to instantly feel as stylish and confident as Carrie Bradshaw strutting down the streets of Manhattan (or in our case, Commonwealth Avenue). 

Want to look like you just walked out of a Vogue fashion shoot? Tie in all three of my tips by wearing dark denim with a black or white blouse, layered with a snazzy faux-fur coat and finished off with some animal-print booties. Voila! Rachel Green would be proud.