By Katrina Liu

We all get in those moods. Ones where you feel like there’s everything and nothing going on in your head, all at once. The most popular and cliche (yet extremely accurate) scenario that pops into my head is driving alone, through the roads in my hometown that I can navigate with my eyes closed. Maybe the window is cracked open, or down all the way. 

On the other hand, maybe you’re me on a Sunday night at 1:37 a.m, sitting on Nickerson Field at night on the verge of tears for seemingly no reason, knowing you should be asleep right now so you don’t fall asleep during your 9 a.m. class the next day. 

Here are 10 songs that I play during these times. Some songs simply hit different past a certain hour. 

1. “All I Want” by Kodaline

This song, though about an extremely relatable and arguably overused topic, always breaks my heart and makes me long for an ex-boyfriend I’ve never had. Not to mention, Steven Garrigan sings the words as though his life depends on it and the bridge is absolutely killer.

2. “Sorry” by Halsey

The piano is a beautifully haunting instrument and there’s something about a ballad mixed with Halsey’s calming voice that always gets me feeling some type of way at night. This is a great song to get lost in as you stare into the city lights, when everything seems unusually still, as you listen to Halsey’s heartbreakingly honest apology to her former lover.

3. “Edge of Desire” by John Mayer

On a happier note, this is one of my favorite love songs, mostly because of its lyrical genius. Every single line of this song could be tattooed on me and I wouldn’t be mad in the slightest. A personal favorite: “So young, and full of running. All the way to the edge of desire.” When I listen to this song, I hope to achieve a love as pure as what Mayer is portraying.

4. “Supercut” by Lorde

Besides Lorde being brilliant in all her songwriting, I have a deep personal connection with this song. With an echo of hopeful beginnings, I will connect this song with my first love for the rest of my life, whatever our future may be. In addition, this song was a must-play during my late night summer drives with friends, muttering about our worries and excitement about the new chapter ahead.

5. “Saturn” by Sleeping at Last

This song often puts me on the verge of tears. With its eerily stunning instrumental and the poetic-like lyrics, I remember hearing this on a Thursday night at dance class two years ago and feeling so touched. Sleeping at Last does an incredible job of making you feel tiny in a world that is so much more than us.

6. “From the Dining Table” by Harry Styles

This boy-band-member-turned-rockstar is famous for his stage presence, yet his quietest song on his debut album is my favorite. He makes guitar tabs and extensive harmonies soulful and heart-wrenching. This is a perfect song to look at the stars through the tears falling down your face.

7. “Lovely” by Billie Eilish, featuring Khalid

Eilish’s and Khalid’s vocals blend with piano chords and strings to produce a chilling track. “Heart made of glass, my mind of stone” sung in the unique voice Eilish is known for somehow leaves me to think about every existential thought in the universe. 

8. “Afterglow” by Taylor Swift

Swift’s new album contains many wonderful songs, but “Afterglow” is breathtaking in its own sense. The dreamy echo of her voice and the prominent bass drum leaves my heart thumping for more as I drive around my suburban hometown.

9. “I’m A Mess” by Ed Sheeran

Though there are many hits from this British songwriter, this one is by far one of the most underrated. Sheeran’s signature duo of intricate acoustic guitar and carefully crafted lyrics is showcased in this song. Out of all the songs on this list, this one is the one I found first and still gives me chills every time I listen to it.

10. “Outer Space / Carry On” by 5 Seconds of Summer

Besides being my favorite song of all time, I believe this song can truly be appreciated when you’re in a mood to feel all of the feelings. The time I’ve felt most alive is hearing this song live and it honestly changed my life. The six minute song is a passionate anthem of yearning for a past love and assuring listeners that life does get better. This is a pure masterpiece.